Thread: Help with decision

Help with decision

I have looked all through the bandsaw discussions, but am looking for some help. New to woodworking (1 yr), have some $ to spend on tools and want a bandsaw. I live in Alaska, so choice is limited. Grizzly will ship and the local hardware store has a 14" Jet ($750) and Powermatic (1,200). Sometimes big items get pretty beat up shipping to Alaska, but if the Grizzly (14" vs 17"-both are almost same price right now)is the best bang for the buck, then I will go with that. Any advice appreciated. Amazon won't ship large power tools to Alaska. Thanks.

Eric

Grizzly 17" or 19" - skip the 14" upgrade paths that will cost $100s more. Buy it right the first time and get the beef built in day one.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have an early-90s Delta 14" (purchased new) and it works great, but last year I purchased a larger Laguna bandsaw to supplement it and I have to tell you the difference is night and day, the Laguna is miles ahead in terms of quality. Look at it this way, you're probably only going to buy one bandsaw in your life, why not get the very best?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    Look at it this way, you're probably only going to buy one bandsaw in your life, why not get the very best?
    Actually, if he’s like most of us he will buy at least two...

I started out with a 14” Delta that worked fine for me until I wanted to get into some resawing. Like others have said, go bigger if you can, but a 14” is not a bad size.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for all the input. The Jet, Grizzly, and P'matic are the only real brands that I can get up here, so the Laguna is out. Is the basic 17" Grizzly (G0513) a good saw? I'm a little skeptical since it is $795-a lot less than any other 17" BS. Thanks

Eric

grizzly consistently delivers the best bang for the buck in stationary power tools not sold in big box retail stores. the 513anv is a heck of a saw delivered for $900. much better than a 14" jet, IMHO. and $1200 for a 14" powermatic? there's nothing that powermatic will do for $1200 that the 513 won't also do for $900.

Eric,
    I have had good luck with PM, I don’t have their band saw but my Lathe, Mortiser and dust collector all are well made and I’m happy with them.
    Not all ways but most of the time “you get what you pay for”
    Jay

You've got to tell us what you make! Going to resaw a lot? Cut blanks for turning? Lots of curve cuts or intarsia? Can't recommend a machine if we have no idea what you are going to do. A 10" will do a lot of work for small crafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Goosman View Post
    I have looked all through the bandsaw discussions, but am looking for some help. New to woodworking (1 yr), have some $ to spend on tools and want a bandsaw. I live in Alaska, so choice is limited. Grizzly will ship and the local hardware store has a 14" Jet ($750) and Powermatic (1,200). Sometimes big items get pretty beat up shipping to Alaska, but if the Grizzly (14" vs 17"-both are almost same price right now)is the best bang for the buck, then I will go with that. Any advice appreciated. Amazon won't ship large power tools to Alaska. Thanks.

Eric
    Eric,

Alaska Industrial Hardware will special order whatever model you wish of the lines they carry, if you aren't in a rush. Their freight is very reasonable.

When the new Unisaw came out (and before they were stocked here) I ordered one from them and only paid $150 extra to get a 500# saw up here. I compared the stateside "free shipping" places that would pay to ship to Seattle but the best price I could get from there on up was $700.

I've done the same thing with a certain 60-gallon Ingersoll-Rand compressor I wanted. Both experiences were good.

Nice to see another from Alaska on here!!

Jim in Anchorage
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Goosman View Post
    Thanks for all the input. The Jet, Grizzly, and P'matic are the only real brands that I can get up here, so the Laguna is out. Is the basic 17" Grizzly (G0513) a good saw? I'm a little skeptical since it is $795-a lot less than any other 17" BS. Thanks

Eric
    Grizzly is a direct importer....meaning no dealers, and no dealer markup. In many cases the tools come from the same factories as other Asian imports like Jet, GI, Craftex, some PM, some Laguna. If you're willing to be your own middleman, there are some significant savings available by going with Grizzly. If you prefer to pay a premium for dealer support, then the Jet or PM are a better choice for you.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for all the great advice. Scott, what I was curious about with the Grizzly is the 17" being just a few dollars different than the 14" w/the enclosed base. I have a Grizzly router table that is pretty good for the price. Jim, I am getting my table saw from AIH. That's where they have the P'matic and Jet bandsaws. I just haven't heard a lot of great things about either of those bandsaws, or I would go with one of those. Richard, I just started some woodworking w/a friend this past Christmas-jewelry box out of birds eye maple, end grain cutting board, workbench, and am about 75% finished with a fishing gear cabinet (more involved than i thought!). He has most of the tools (and knowledge/talent). I just sold a camper that we had and the wife gave me permission to use the $ for woodworking tools. I only have 1/2 of a 2-car garage right now, so space is limited. I am getting a table saw, planer, hopefully a bandsaw, and some hand planes (a lot of fun to use). I have drills, handsaws, mitre saw, router and table. I figure i should jump on the tools before my wife changes her mind.

Eric

I've owned two Grizzly bandsaws G0555 and G0514x2. I think the quality of both was good.

With a bigger bandsaw, you get more hp, more mass, better bearings, higher and wider capacity. All of these things are important.

If you get your tablesaw from Grizzly too (popular models are the G0690 or G1023 series) then perhaps that'll save you shipping?

If you are going to use your bandsaw 8 hours a day, 5 or more days a week, you need to get a Minimax. If it is just hobby work, and you won't be using it every day, get a Grizzly. If you compare the 2 machines, the Minimax is built amazingly heavy compared to the Griz. But the difference is in how much and how hard you plan to use the saw. Myself, I wanted a top of the line bandsaw, having used some that I considered junky, incl a Delta and a Powermatic, so bought a Minimax, although now I think probably could have gotten by with a Grizzly, and some better quality blades. The blades make all the difference. If you get tired of the whack whack whack of the weld going through your guides, you need to find a better blade.

I had a 18" Jet band saw that was pretty nice. I used it for resawing once and decided that lumber wasn't that expensive. I eventually sold it (Just to free up the floor space) and have never missed it... but that is just me.

I would want a jointer before a band saw. I guess it all just depends on the work you will be doing.

Have the g0513 17" Grizzly and it works very well... no problems... would definitely recommend it...
    Take the money you save and buy a good carbide blade for resawing...
    For normal blades, I prefer the timberwolf brand...