Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Stick tape---Good source for best value

I've used the wood craft brand too, saw a price when looking of $19/per roll for 3/4".....who do they think they are kidding?
    Indeed. I have two rolls, one still had the price sticker on it ..... $8.43. I've know prices have been doing up but wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Indeed. I have two rolls, one still had the price sticker on it ..... $8.43. I've know prices have been doing up but wow.
    I looked there first as that's a place I'd gone before, they may have carried the Spec brand at my local woodcraft some time ago, I remember a price approaching $10 per roll. I was shocked to see $19 on the web site. I don't care how good the tape is, that smells like usery to me. A few less flyers and a little better pricing would make me a more loyal customer...I'd gladly pay a bit more from woodcraft just to help insure that they are there for the special things they carry, I love going to the store and touching the goods pre purchase, but I can't pay a 300% markup on supplies for that privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Mah View Post
    Carpet tape. You can get miles of it for not too much $$$. Comes in different strengths. Great for holding patterns onto wood.
    +1. I've had rolls of two basic kinds for years. One is plastic and it's good for a fairly secure, but temporary hold. The other is woven fiber and it's good for a more permanent hold. I have to be careful to not overdo it when I use it for holding router templates to plywood because I have had it to pull up the corner of veneers when it was time to separate the template from the stock.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I went ahead and ordered the tape from the link Jim provided, thanks again for that, at just under $4/roll I'm thrilled. I ordered a few different sizes to try, they have lots of widths, reasonable shipping, easy check out...good store. Can't wait to get into a sticky situation......

Peter,
    I'll be interested on your thoughts on the tape. It has worked quite well for me. The crepe is thin and does not create a big gap as some carpet tapes do. To me, it makes it easier to get edges flush on the back side of routing templates. It holds really well on mdf templates also. The only time I ever have any issue getting items apart is when my "overkill tendencies" take over and I put on too much tape. I have found it easy enough to pull apart with no damage and when it is tough to get apart, just a little prying with a putty knife gets it apart.

Jim

I've had good luck with this from Peachtree WW supply.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/router_jigs_templates.htm#3599

I don't know if it's the best price around but it's just convenient for me as I'm in there often as it's near my house. Seems to have perfect stick strength for jigs and is easy to work with. If you clamp it like they recommend it almost gets too stuck to pull apart on some templates. I just press down good with it by hand and that works just fine most of the time.

Well...I got my tape a while back and have been using it, thought I would report my observations. I got the JVCC DCP-01 Double Coated Crepe Paper Tape in a few sizes. It applies well, holds very well, the release layer starts and peels quite easily. I am not thrilled with its removal properties however. The tape is quite thin, and once well adhered simply refuses to peel off in a single strip. Instead it breaks up randomly, some sticking to one side of the attachment, some to the other in little bits and pieces that must then be scraped off and wiped clean with acetone or alcohol. I'm not talking about leaving a template stuck for a week then attempting removal, many tapes would resist that, I'm talking running a single pattern then removing immediately. Its so problematic I've given some away, offered it to coworkers "Please use this up" and relegated it to situations where I don't mind a big mess left on my work, or for attaching jig parts that aren't meant to come apart.

Another small problem I ran into was the tape I ordered was very thin, and in situations like mounting drawer fronts, if there is even the slightest gap or misalignment the toe won't bridge and gap so things don't get stuck. The tape I used previously must have been a cloth backer, it was a bit thicker, so it would bridge these gaps, and it peeled off quite easily. I'm going to try a 1" cloth backed paper release layer carpet tape from find tape. It looks very similar to the tape I was using at my last job but with a different release layer for easier starting. They have so many options I'm certain one of them will fit my needs.

I bought a bunch of rolls from Golfworks a couple years ago at about $4-$5 a roll. They are pretty big rolls and the tape sticks very well. So much so that I have had problems with it delaminating plywood if left on too long. I like the packing tape idea that would definitely alleviate the delam problem. I have also bought some double sided duct tape at Lowes before which worked fine but was very tenacious to remove. The stuff from Golfworks has been my go to.

I had been using some double sided tape that worked, but like others found, left residue and was difficult to use. I don't remember how it happened, but our member Bill Huber, who has given many a good tip, put me on to the double sided tape from Eagle America, and I've been using that for several years with excellent results. No residue, holds well for my purposes, and just in general has excellent overall working properties. If you're not happy with whatever you have, try that.

Thanks for the tip Don, I've gone crazy and ordered some of the Eagle America tape too. I've got a few things coming up where I really need a high performing tape.

Peter,
    Sorry you had the issues with the "crepe" tape. I am able to apply pressure with a finger and "roll" it up onto itself very easily. After coming up it is in a small roll.

Jim

thanks for this! Just ordered some of the crêpe double stick very nice price and reasonable shipping. Love these threads that save me so much search time!!

I use carpet tape but cutting the stuff is sort of a pain. I wish there was a roll with peel-off 1" square pieces or something similar. I'd use move, smaller pieces and it would likely be easier to remove in that case, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I use carpet tape but cutting the stuff is sort of a pain. I wish there was a roll with peel-off 1" square pieces or something similar. I'd use move, smaller pieces and it would likely be easier to remove in that case, too.

Agreed, none of the tapes tear easily, scissors can be problematic too. I often stick it to the template side of one exists, then score it with a razor so I get just the size I need. I wound up buying the same basic original product from find tape.con but in a cloth backed version with easy paper release layer. It works great for my uses. I donated all the crepe paper tape at work and it's appreciated there.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Cody.....you don't know how much I hated to read that. I do my best to evade going to Walmart.....LOL! Thanks for information!
    I will pay a premium at some other place rather than go into a Walmart store.

I have used a mile of carpet tape to attach work pieces to the bed of my CNC router. It has yet to turn loose at the wrong time. The only down side is that you have to be careful when you remove the tape from delicate pieces.

Edit: I just read Phil's comment and I agree it is a problem to cut carpet tape. I have to get out the acetone and clean the scissor edges fairly often.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 04-19-2015 at 11:13 AM.