Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: chrome vs firefox

Firefox on linux. I hear claims that Chrome/Chromium is faster. I don't find that. Firefox has a LOT of useful add-ons. I also find secuity on Firefox more 'granular' though that may be just my feeling. I may find myself installing Chrome because newer versions of Flash are not available for linux. Hasn't been an issue so far though, flash 11.x does what I need it to do. I'm pretty sure Google knows enough about me, they don't need to know more.

Definitely Chrome. Use it on my PC and work and on my Mac at home. Unfortunately, there are some applications that Chrome won't run. On the Mac, my second choice is Safari, then Firefox. On the PC, my second choice is Explorer then Firefox.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A friend did mention that the reason he uses multiple browsers is because many of the news sites that only allow so many views per month before requiring payment use the browser's cookies to count your visits. Different browsers have different groups of cookies. This allows him to visit more times than is permitted with a single browser.
    Nothing against running multiple browsers, but it's a lot easier to just delete the cookies.

I use both, at work and at home. FF has more add-ons that I like and use but Chrome is cleaner and faster. I only mess with IE if something won't load in the other two. I do a lot of research and online technical writing so using two browsers makes it easier to keep the dozen or more pages that I often have open more organized. I'll usually use FF for my writing and Chrome for my research.

That said, I am slowly becoming more and more disenchanted with FF and their new updates every 35 seconds. Given my history, I will probably never go "all in" on any single browser.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

They're all free because you're not the consumer, you're the product. That's especially true with GOOGLE Chrome. I've been a long-time FF user, but it's definitely had its ups and downs. They'll have an awesome version that will eventually fall victim to code bloat, then they'll redesign and start over with a leaner, faster release. However, at the rate computers are getting faster and cheaper, that bloat is becoming less noticeable to me.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Aspinall View Post
    Nothing against running multiple browsers, but it's a lot easier to just delete the cookies.
    I think I have more cookies than all the bakers in North America.

I could delete them all but then many sites will start asking for passwords, some of them are from accounts started with different ISPs as far back as the early '90s. I am not sure I can recall all of my old email addresses and 20 year old passwords.

To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from a television program, "When making things secure we make them more complex. Making things more complex makes them more vulnerable."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have all three on my PC at home. Wife uses IE and FF and I use Chrome. The only real reason we use all three is because she has two email addresses and I have one, and it's easier to just leave them all logged in on different browsers.

The only thing I don't like about Chrome is the lack of ad blocker on it (admittedly I haven't looked that hard). I doubt most places love ad blockers since they pretty much wipe out google ad sense ads and yahoo ads, but I sure like them.

spoke too soon, I see there's an ad block for chrome now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    spoke too soon, I see there's an ad block for chrome now.
    Always has been.

I've been a Chrome user for years, but it's been getting so bloated (aren't they all) that it started giving be problems.
    Also have it on the phone, but stopped using it. Went to the installed browser, although that is also a Google product. But it works better.
    Using FF on this desktop now.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I literally replaced my last PC laptop because the browsing was too slow. That was with only one AV program, disabling all of the add ons, and removing the garbage toolbar the AV installed, etc. The thing just wasn't able to handle all of the bloated visuals on web pages now.

I suspect that the current PC (now about a year or two old) will probably also be made obsolete due to slow web browsing.

I used IE for years and switched to Firefox about three or four years ago because at the time Firefox was faster. I still use IE at work. The corporate standard was IE until maybe 18 months ago when we finally started letting folks officially use Firefox and Chrome.

I think I have more cookies than all the bakers in North America.

I could delete them all but then many sites will start asking for passwords, some of them are from accounts started with different ISPs as far back as the early '90s. I am not sure I can recall all of my old email addresses and 20 year old passwords.
    I'm not suggesting you delete all the cookies, just the ones that are tracking you in an unwanted way.

To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from a television program, "When making things secure we make them more complex. Making things more complex makes them more vulnerable."
    Agree with the sentiment completely. For me, having my hands/brain cells directly controlling my passwords is simpler and more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    They're all free because you're not the consumer, you're the product.
    I said the same thing about Facebook in 2004; if an application is offered without purchase price, recurrent fee or advertising - your data is the only valuable thing it manages.
    In 2010, when the first inkling of privacy (or the absence of same) was made public, it became obvious what these aggregators all do - they're mining us for data.

The real question I have with any of these offerings is, who is buying that data?

Quote Originally Posted by John Aspinall View Post
    Or set the browser delete them on exit, 3rd party or all. Firefox lets me select which sites get to store cookies, my list is pretty short.

If you use websites on the Internet it is pretty hard not to give up privacy unless you are extremely selective about websites and only visit a very few. Plenty of websites plain don't work without cookies enabled.