Thread: Old Stanley No. 80 versus Veritas Cabinet Scraper?

Old Stanley No. 80 versus Veritas Cabinet Scraper?

Thinking about buying a Veritas cabinet scraper. Any opinions on whether the improvement over the old Stanley No. 80 is significant enough to make it worthwhile? (Not you, Rob. You have a conflict of interest. )
    Michael Ray Smith

I can't compare it to the original Stanley, but I like mine so much that I sold my LV scraper plane. It's easier to adjust, too.
    Paul

I like my Stanley, but I haven't tried the LV. Either should work well. Do you like the newer items ( Rob and crew usually do find a way to modernize things) or the older well used more traditional items? That and price are probably the deciding factors.
    Old age can be better than the alternative.

Blog Entries
    If you have an 80 I would just use it. If you are acquiring, I would get the LV and enjoy the larger sole, improved handle positions and what-not. I love mine.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I agree with Glenn. I have an older Stanley #80M and a LV #80 and their performance is really pretty comparable. If you are comparing the LV with the currently offered Stanleys or knock-offs like the Kunz, the LV wins hands down.

I do not own an 80 of any kind but I've been curious about them. I've mostly seen them used as a glue remover and rough leveling tool. I am hopeful they can do more finesse work.

What are you guys consistently using them for?
    For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve.

I cringe when I see our students using a #80 as a glue scraper. Cabinet scrapers do an excellent job smoothing surfaces prone to tear-out. They are easier on the thumbs and maintain a flatter surface than a card scraper. I consider my 80M one of my best $10 investments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby O'Neal View Post
    I do not own an 80 of any kind but I've been curious about them. I've mostly seen them used as a glue remover and rough leveling tool. I am hopeful they can do more finesse work.
    While indeed capable of rough work, the #80 performs admirably on difficult woods with challenging grains; burls, crotches, rowy panels, table tops, and so on. Although I'm apt to take final passes with a card scraper, the #80 gets me to that point reliably. It can take thick to wispy shavings and is much easier on my wrists and fingers than the thicker cards, and I even prefer it to my#112 and my wooden scraper planes.

I use it for just about everything, from furniture to guitar backs and sides.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

Had both. LV was somewhat better, felt more stable. Eventually I sold both because 99% of times I reach for card scrapers. Rigid one can smooth wider area, flexible one is easier to control for spot work. Also #80 needs to be tested before every use on critical areas. Misconfiguration through chatter produces nasty hard to remove waves.

I'm with Greg.

I've had both, and can't tell the difference.
    The nice thing about the new LV I use is that it has no rust. (yet)

Getting a proper burr turned on the steel is the secret handshake with either tool.
    Combined with the Bahco scrapers, these things are excellent.

I have card scrapers and hate the cursed things.

Just when I get one to cut well, it's too hot to handle...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I have card scrapers and hate the cursed things.

Just when I get one to cut well, it's too hot to handle...
    That's what thumb cots, pinky cheaters and those flat vinyl advertising magnets are for.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-10-2013 at 5:52 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε