Thread: Grizzly G0513X2B vs Rikon 10-345

Grizzly G0513X2B vs Rikon 10-345

Well, I am looking at these two and not sure what one is best if either. I like the brake on the Griz and the fence. I also have read that the Rikon is more one piece. ... I am tossing it out there, any thoughts.... Jerry

Both of the two you mention are one piece. The one-piece comparison is made with the Rikon 10-325 (14") versus the Grizzly 14" G0555 series; but not including the Grizzly G0457 which is Grizzly's one-piece 14" bandsaw of similar design to the Rikon 10-325.

I had the same question a couple months back and ended up with the grizz. I love this machine. I def think I made the right decision and would highly recommend it to anyone else. The brake truely is a wonderful feature and so far this machine has powered through everything I've asked of it. It basically cut a straight line with almost zero set up. The one place Im not a huge fan of is adjusting the guide bearings below the table or even above the table can be a a bit finicky.

Anthony, Thanks for the info on that , Tony, I JUST seen the 514x2b the 19" model, I have to wonder with the 1 extra horse total of 3hp, larger table, 2" more width, 1.25 blade, and Rack and pinion table tilt. If that is not worth the extra 300.00, would be my last bandsaw either way.

I have had the 514X2B for a while. It pretty much powers through anything I have thrown at it.

The fence is great, although the fence scale only works with the cast iron fence, not when the resaw fence is attached. So I just use a ruler to set the fence.

I put a 1" Lennox Woodmaster CT blade (Carbide tipped, 1.3 tpi, $110 @ Spectrum Supply) on and rarely take it off. The Grizzly is used mainly for resaw and ripping, or anything that doesn't feel safe on the tablesaw. I use a Rikon 10-305 for cutting curves and such.

I have the G0513X which appears to be the current X2 without the cast iron trunions. I love it. I'm the second owner, bought it from a friend who was getting out of woodworking and offered it to me for a steal after I'd helped him move. Wish it had a brake, and you can get one just costs more. That would be a nice to have, not critical. Mine has pretty much always had a Laguna carbide tipped blade on it since I got it. I've run smaller blades once or twice, just haven't had a need project wise and the Laguna works awesome for resawing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    The fence is great, although the fence scale only works with the cast iron fence, not when the resaw fence is attached. So I just use a ruler to set the fence.
    Ohhhhh......

I really am leaning towards the 514X2B, I need to sell some toys from other hobbies to help offset. I have an habit of buying stuff at auctions etc to resell and then I never do. I am into woodturning and I have short logs I would love to saw down into blanks or make wood for projects.

If you're buying the RIkon from a local authorized dealer, that is a bit of an advantage over Grizzly unless you live near their two locations. I just purchased a 110-350 which is 14" but has bigger resaw height at 14" and the same motor as the 10-345. I like it. I like it a lot. I did mount it on a 4" block of wood though because the table was a bit low for me. easily fixed. Most of my stationary tools I put On risers because My height and my back are ganging upon me more ane more every year. for an 18" saw the Rikon 10-370 seems a bit beefier and has a better looking guide system.
    Rikon saw pros:
    very stiff frame,
    good strong motor that handles the cut height with cherry, haven't tried maple or white oak yet.
    Very easy to change blades
    Very smooth running saw.
    I have an authorize dealer 15 minutes away, his techs know the saws.
    Large table
    good ball bearing guides that are 5/6 very easy to adjust.
    Good airflow through the dust collction ports dust does not accumulate inside
    cons: it is 14"
    THe lower thrust bearing locking screw is a bear to get at, so I put in a much longer locking screw. Problem solved.
    The rack and pinion on the table angle adjustment could be better. very hard to turn I might pull it off and buff the hears a bit to get them to work more smoothly,

I have bought some tools from Grizzly, some good, a 5 hp table saw and 20" stationary planer, good values for the money. But they are hardly industrial grade tools. Nevertheless they are a good value for the price. I also bought a bandsaw from them that was so bad that it took over ten years before I bought anything from them. From what I've read and seen in some friend's shops, new Grizzlies have come a long way, and they do give a good bang for the buck and their tech support is top notch. But they are mail order. So if you need that support it can build up some downtime. The grizzly looks heavier, but appears to have a smaller table. Either saw seems good for about the same money. IF you shop around online you can get good prices on the 10-345
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

I seen the 14" resaw and yes that is nice. I do ask myself if I need the width vs the 2 extra inches in resaw...

I sold my 514 when I moved and bought a 345 because of the price. Okay it isn't as big or powerful (or maybe quite as well built) but its half the price! I wouldn't consider the 513.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    I just added a second tape for a few bucks. there is plenty of room.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I have the G0513X which appears to be the current X2 without the cast iron trunions. I love it.
    I also have the "tweener" G0513X. I also love it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler