Thread: How to replace roller bearings on DW735 planer?

How to replace roller bearings on DW735 planer?

I have a ten year old Dewalt DW735 planer on which the a bearing on the out feed roller is worn out. It began to have significant snipe and the shaft is loose in the bearing. I have ordered four new bearings.

It is not obvious to me how to go about doing the bearing replacements. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks,

Dale

Looking at the parts diagram I think they're held in from the bottom by a metal clip and two screws at each end. The back roller has a long shaft that goes through the gearbox.

If you'll download the instructions from Byrd for installing their Shelix head in the 735 it has full instructions for getting to the point you can just remove the clips and take the rollers out from the bottom. Check it out and see if you think it'll work. You'd be following steps 1-20.

Chris Wong also did a really good three-part video on installing the Shelix in the 735, it's worth a look. Piece of advice: a really good set of snap-ring pliers and an impact driver with metric hex bits helps a lot!

HTH,
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks, I will take a look at things you suggested.

Dale

Hi Bill,

It turns out to be very quite easy to remove the bearings on the rollers on the DW735 once I got into doing it.

First, remove the side covers and remove the chains and gears at each end of the rollers.

Second, crank the planar up to its highest position and turn the whole machine upside down to make it more accessible.

Third, remove a couple of side guard plates and then you have access to the bearings. Simply remove two screws for each bearing and lift the roller out.

Actually Dewalt does a good job of making their machines accessible for repairs.

Thanks,

Dale

Cool, glad you got it fixed. Congrats!

They aren't that hard to work on, I put the Byrd head in mine in about an hour and a half but I read the instructions a few times and watched Chris' video more than once before starting. Nice to know the roller bearings are comparatively easy.

Best,
    Bill