Thread: Can I put 8" wheels on a 10" grinder?

Can I put 8" wheels on a 10" grinder?

I just picked up a Dayton 10" grinder off Craigslist. It runs a 1752 rpm. I'm wondering if would be practical to run 8" wheels for tool sharpening.

If you are wanting it for a slow speed grinder, try to find 6" wheels that fit it. Then it will run the same as a 6" slow speed grinder.

Watch out though, if the 6" wheel doesn't have a large center hole that requires a bushing, then it will have a 1/2" hole. Your grinder has larger arbor shafts due to the heavier stones.

John

Quote Originally Posted by James W Glenn View Post
    I just picked up a Dayton 10" grinder off Craigslist. It runs a 1752 rpm. I'm wondering if would be practical to run 8" wheels for tool sharpening.
    That's an odd speed, most are 1725, or 3450. Sure, put any wheel you want on it. I don't understand the 6" wheel comment, as there are more 1725, 8" grinders out there compared to 6". Thanks to the woodturners demand. But you could put 4" on it if you wanted to. A spinning abrasive wheel will work at any speed as long as you don't exceed the max. Maybe it won't work quickly, but it will work.

You can always go smaller.....the question is why would you want to? Bigger grinders are more expensive, so putting smaller wheels on is a downgrade. I'd keep the 10" wheels, or replace with new good quality ones and get sharpening

good luck,
    JeffD

Agree with Richard. Perimeter speed of the wheel (feet per second) is actually more informative than rpm in determining the wheel's effect on grinding. Perimeter speed is directly proportional to wheel diameter. So the 10" wheel perimeter speed is 25% faster than the 8" wheel. The popular Woodcraft slow-speed grinder runs at 1725 rpm and has an 8" wheel. So if arbor size works, that's what you'll end up with with the smaller wheel.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    That's an odd speed, most are 1725, or 3450. Sure, put any wheel you want on it. I don't understand the 6" wheel comment, as there are more 1725, 8" grinders out there compared to 6". Thanks to the woodturners demand. But you could put 4" on it if you wanted to. A spinning abrasive wheel will work at any speed as long as you don't exceed the max. Maybe it won't work quickly, but it will work.
    1725 it is. I reversed the numbers on the way to the computer. From a quick look, there are a lot more types of stones available in 8". The 6 inch stones might be a little to small to run with the cowling on, which I want to use for safety and dust collection. Would running a smaller wheel improve the balance for running a wire wheel or mdf honing wheel on the opposite side?

Even if you put 10" wheels on it - they will make every attempt to become 8" wheels over time, then 6" then 4" given long enough. Provided you can still move the tool rest to a safe distance from the wheel, and the arbor fits, I see no reason why you couldn't use the 8" wheels.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This may explain what you need to know. Read down several paragraphs.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...-grinders.aspx

John

going by the link , a 6 inch wheel surface speed varies from about 1700 to 3100 , do the motor rpm varies that much ?