Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A most pleasant hour - nice start with a new machine

A most pleasant hour - nice start with a new machine

One of my task today was to rip some 1" cherry into 3" wide stock - 76 pieces - for some bench legs I will be gluing up.
    I just barely had enough width with most of my boards to get 2 or 3 full rips - at least using the table saw and a regular kerf blade.

I therefore decided to try ripping these with my new Laguna 14" SUV bandsaw blade. Using a 1" Resaw King (a carbide tipped blade)
    OMG - this was like Zen woodworking . What a pleasure and with such ease. No pressure just a steady light feed rate. I managed to get the optimum yield
    because of the thin blade. The rip side surface is smoother than with the TS with none of the drama or tension (or noise or dust) that ripping stock of varying density on a table saw can impose. I am enlightened. Can't wait to start resawing my laminations for the curved aprons.

My first trial cuts on the Laguna were some resaws of some 6" wide old growth yellow pine. With no fuss about setting the stock fence I
    produced some very consistent 3/16" boards (at what thickness does a board become a veneer?) and 1/8" and 1/16" too. The quality and consistency of those cuts
    made me happy. Today started off great too. I have never owned or used a bandsaw as good as this Laguna so I am very happy with my purchase.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 07-11-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Wow, Sam,

I didn't know you could use a 1" blade on a 14" saw. That is interesting, as I have always wanted a bit more resaw capability (not height) than my 14" Delta with a riser block and a half inch blade. I don't need a monster band saw, as 7 or 8" is probably as much as I will ever need. I will have to check that out.

Rick Potter

I know exactly how you feel. I got my SUV about 18 months ago and have similar Zen experiences with it ever since. What a beutifully functional tool. I also got the DM fence and that is a dream to use also. My experience with Laguna customer service was also superior. Glad you like your new tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Wow, Sam,

I didn't know you could use a 1" blade on a 14" saw. That is interesting, as I have always wanted a bit more resaw capability (not height) than my 14" Delta with a riser block and a half inch blade. I don't need a monster band saw, as 7 or 8" is probably as much as I will ever need. I will have to check that out.

Rick Potter
    Rick, There are some on this forum that will tell you that no 14" bandsaw can properly tension a 1" blade but Laguna will tell you that their 14" SUV will and I can attest to that. I haven't even maxed out the available tension and the cutting with the 1" Resaw King is smooth, easy and so quiet compared to the TS. I'm loving it.

And Harold - I'm glad I took the leap. I really like this saw and Laguna has been great to work with.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Not all bandsaws are the same ..

I have a friend with a 14" Hammer.. Its not at all like a 14" Asian delta clone..

A great bandsaw with a great blade is a joy to use for ripping lumber.. makes you ignore your tablesaw..

Wow, Sam,

Rick Potter
    Laguna also has a 3/4" Resaw King blade that will work on a Delta 14". 1" is too wide. I've had two of the 3/4" RK blades on mine and tension is not a problem. One thing to consider is that due to the small wheel diameter, it is very important to de-tension the blade after using it. I put a Carter quick release on my Delta for that reason and it works great.
    Dick Mahany.

OK, Dick,

I have to ask. What's with this 'Chevota Guy' tag? Do you by any chance have an old Toyota Jeep?

Rick P

I too find a band saw more pleasant to use than a table saw. The downside is my bandsaw - not using a carbide tipped blade - will not produce the finished surface the table saw will and I find plywood has quite rough edges. I wonder though how a combination of band saw and track saw would work in space challenged shops. Neither takes much room when not in use.

OK, Dick,

I have to ask. What's with this 'Chevota Guy' tag? Do you by any chance have an old Toyota Jeep?

Rick P

Yep. '75 FJ40. I'll never grow up!

TLC2.jpg

OP------Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 07-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I too find a band saw more pleasant to use than a table saw. The downside is my bandsaw - not using a carbide tipped blade - will not produce the finished surface the table saw will and I find plywood has quite rough edges. I wonder though how a combination of band saw and track saw would work in space challenged shops. Neither takes much room when not in use.

I'm mostly doing it that way now. The track saw is excellent for sheet goods and not so bad on processing some lumber. I'm seriously thinking that I will fold up the table saw and place the band saw in the more prominent and permanent position. It will be the TS that will be pulled out occasionally for building doors and other specialty work.
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Yep. '75 FJ40. I'll never grow up!

TLC2.jpg

OP------Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread
    Sweet rig- i have a dune beige 76 with an sbc 350! Fine minds think alike!

Nice, Dick,

I have a Rubicon.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Getting back to the subject...........Dang it Sam, just when I thought I had all the tools I could want, you got to me. I hope Laguna has a sale soon.

Rick Potter
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Sweet. '85 FJ 60 w/a Chevy V8 here

Sorry, Sam, but while we're at it -- '69 FJ40 with SBC350/SM465. Sadly, it recently became the down payment on our first home

I have the SUV14 with the 1" blade. I have used it many times to get some stock down to almost final thickness prior to going to the planer. A great tool to have in the shop.