Thread: parts for record planes made in England

parts for record planes made in England

I have a record #5 jack plane that is about 25 years old. I somehow lost the screw for the front of the tote, (small one). It is some weird english thread size, does anyone know where I could find these screws ? Thanks in advance for any help,Mike.

Mike; email this site for the parts your after, http://www.oldtools.co.uk/9-record-spares https://www.oldtools.co.uk/contact-us

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Mike, from looking at the links Stewie provided it looks like the screw you need has the same threads as a frog screw. If you have a spare frog screw you could check it out.

Stanley planes do use the same thread. Back before having spare screws I filed a frog screw to have a round head and used it for the front tote screw. I do not think it was ever changed since it is hard to tell which one is the 'pretender.'

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, I'm pretty sure the stud threads for the Stanley front and rear knobs are 12-20.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-25-2016 at 10:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Jim, I'm pretty sure the threads for the Stanley front and rear knobs are 12-20.
    That is correct. From what Mike posted:

I somehow lost the screw for the front of the tote, (small one). It is some weird english thread size, does anyone know where I could find these screws ?
    he is missing the screw that is at the front of the tote on his plane. If he has a spare Record frog screw he could check to see if it is long enough to fit into the threads with the tote mounted.

I may have not made myself real clear in my earlier post. I was not recommending the use of a Stanley screw.

As a side note, the 7/32 size for the Record screws is almost an exact match for the #12 size that Stanley uses. I do believe the thread forms may be different. According to one of the pages in the link you posted, Record uses Whitworth form threads.

From others I have heard there was a lot of cooperation among the manufactures at various times. Not sure if it is just rumor or if there is some fact to Record making planes for Stanley and visa versa.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 08-25-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: wording clarification
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks Jim, the close match in thread types is something I didn't consider.

cheers Stewie;

Thanks for the website information,Stewie. I have owned this plane since it was new. I purchased it from Lee Valley in 1990 when I was a student at NAIT in Edmonton AB. Looking forward to using it again, it has a thicker casting than my stanley planes . i like the extra heft that the additional weight gives me. I dont have any spare screws that fit or I would have used them.

Blog Entries
    Mike,

Do you have any Stanley planes?

My thought is you could try a Stanley frog screw to see if it will work. If you have a problem obtaining the Record screw it would be easier to find a Stanley frog screw.

At this site:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

frog screws are $5 a pair and the tote screw is $9.20. (U.S. dollars)

Of course if the Stanley screw jams in the threads that is no good. I do not know if the 5º difference in the thread geometry will affect things that much. I am also wondering if Record continues with Whitworth thread forms.

Just did a quick read at Wikipedia and they suggest some of the American threads and Whitworth threads work together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...dard_Whitworth

jtk

Jim now you have me curious... I will go through my stash and see if a stanley frog screw works, thanks for the idea i will post if it does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Jim now you have me curious... I will go through my stash and see if a stanley frog screw works, thanks for the idea i will post if it does work.
    Jim ,I found a screw from a old block plane that works. Thanks. Record planes are no longer made. record-marples was bought out. Irwin now makes chisels that have the same style but are made in china. Old record is real good stuff,planes,vises clamps etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Jim ,I found a screw from a old block plane that works. Thanks. Record planes are no longer made. record-marples was bought out. Irwin now makes chisels that have the same style but are made in china. Old record is real good stuff,planes,vises clamps etc.
    Glad to be of help Mike.

It never hurts to 'experiment' as long as one doesn't try to force the results.

jtk