Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't give a rip or is it time to buy a bandsaw thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    The upright deal is probably why sitting on your butt is also easier than leaning over the sawbench. You're sitting and your back is in an upright position, so there is no issue with using your back and another arm to hold up your bodyweight, only part of which is actually moving the saw, anyway.
    My knees are a huge issue. I definitely can't use them to hold down a piece of wood and even when I could that position never felt comfortable or efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    The saw should be sharp; … Maybe an issue of it being a relatively high TPI (though I can't remember exactly what it is)
    Well yeah, that would definitely make a huge difference.

For perspective: This summer, I split a white oak log into quarters and crosscut the pieces. I started with an 8 tpi saw because that's what was sharp (There's that sharpening thing again). First cut took forever, so I timed a couple. It was taking me 6-7 minutes per cut. Then I stopped and sharpened my 6 tpi saw. First cut took me two and a half minutes. You wouldn't think 2 tpi would make such a dramatic difference, but it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Well yeah, that would definitely make a huge difference.

For perspective: This summer, I split a white oak log into quarters and crosscut the pieces. I started with an 8 tpi saw because that's what was sharp (There's that sharpening thing again). First cut took forever, so I timed a couple. It was taking me 6-7 minutes per cut. Then I stopped and sharpened my 6 tpi saw. First cut took me two and a half minutes. You wouldn't think 2 tpi would make such a dramatic difference, but it did.
    I use a handsaw to saw plywood for a couple of cuts but never count the tpi , using a circular saw would been unsafe because the plywood strip were too-narrow

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    My knees are a huge issue. I definitely can't use them to hold down a piece of wood and even when I could that position never felt comfortable or efficient.
    I'm with you there Charlie.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

So what method/position do you using for sawing Charlie?

The big reason I gave up on Japanese saws was the bent over position to saw on the low saw ponies holding the stock with my feet.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    So what method/position do you using for sawing Charlie?

The big reason I gave up on Japanese saws was the bent over position to saw on the low saw ponies holding the stock with my feet.
    I rip in a vise with a standard rip saw (short rips) or clamp the workpiece to the bench and use an ECE bow saw (longer rips and/or thicker wood).

I don't steady wood with feet or knees, that's for sure. Pure madness.

....clamp the workpiece to the bench and use an ECE bow saw (longer rips and/or thicker wood).
    Same here more or less. I find myself doing this more and more for rips of all sizes. But I use a 5 1/2ppi D8 overhand not a bowsaw. I find it much easier than kneeling, though for xcuts I do kneel on my saw bench if the piece is too wide to efficiently xcut with a back saw at the bench hook.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Couple of more questions:

How does the bow saw compare to the western handsaw in use?

I remember seeing Schwarz on The Woodwright's Shop and he talked about ripping at the bench. I don't have a tail vise so I'm not sure how to secure it. Anybody tried this method?

I don't use my tail vise when I rip at the bench. Just use some f-clamps or holdfasts to secure it to the bench.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Jeeze, David.. I'd have thought you'd have a Rip Stop saw bench. You know the kind:

* Electronic sensor to detect contact with a metal blade,
    * Saw Stop (tm) cartridge propells #12 boot into your booty!!
    * No repeat offenses.

<j/k>, of course!!

One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Couple of more questions:

How does the bow saw compare to the western handsaw in use?

I remember seeing Schwarz on The Woodwright's Shop and he talked about ripping at the bench. I don't have a tail vise so I'm not sure how to secure it. Anybody tried this method?
    A bow saw is a lot like Scotch - an acquired taste. I like Scotch. When you're using one you realize it's just a big bandsaw blade with you supplying the power. I had one and then went for a long time without one and now I have one again and am glad for it.

A bow saw is a lot like Scotch - an acquired taste. I like Scotch. When you're using one you realize it's just a big bandsaw blade with you supplying the power. I had one and then went for a long time without one and now I have one again and am glad for it.
    Single malt?

I use holdfasts on one of my sawbenches to handle long boards, without using my knees as a clamp.

Acharaya Kumarswami built his design using this, and it works well for me as well.
    Bowsaws are faster, but the amount of set in most blades needs to be reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Jeeze, David.. I'd have thought you'd have a Rip Stop saw bench. You know the kind:

* Electronic sensor to detect contact with a metal blade,
    * Saw Stop (tm) cartridge propells #12 boot into your booty!!
    * No repeat offenses.

<j/k>, of course!!

This picture doesn't really do it justice, it's even nastier than the picture looks. (It looks like I lied, it's a 2x12 and part of a 2x4).

IMG_20130711_212555_857.jpg
    Last edited by David Weaver; 07-12-2013 at 7:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Tage Frid use to swear that bowsaws are under appreciated in the US. I think there is a greater tradition involving their use in Europe. Tage made his rips with the work fastened to the bench, standing up, with a bowsaw. Tage claimed that one can use the entire body without getting as tired using a bowsaw. He also admitted that there is a little longer learning curve with a bowsaw. Tage used a bandsaw and tablesaw for processing full length lumber, rips and resawing.

I tried a poorly made bowsaw Highland Woodworking stocked back when Tage use to do classes there. It was not a user friendly tool for me. I recently purchased a 400mm Woodjoy bowsaw. The Woodjoy saw is well a joy to use, especially compared to the original saw I tried. The Japanese Turbo blades are a big help. I think one of the problems with bowsaws is, although there are some great saws available through hand tool specialty shops, there just are not many options when it comes to blades, other than the Japanese Turbo blades. I think this may be why Tage advocated hand filling bowsaw blades with rip teeth.

I opted for a bandsaw for long rips and resawing. I think many other hand tool fans use a bandsaw too.