Thread: Delta Contractor TS and useless rail?

Delta Contractor TS and useless rail?

I have a Delta 62-044 TS with a Bies fence.It appears that the rail bolted to the back serves no particular purpose. The back of the fence doesn't attach to it and nothing else appears to be attached to it, I'd like to remove it to attach an outfeed/assembly table to the saw. Am I missing something or is it a case of "walks like a duck, looks like a duck, it must a duck" simple.

Thanks

Dan
    Dan McLaughlin

On my unisaw the main purpose of the rear rail of the beis fence setup seems to be to support the right side extension table. An invaluable resource I can't imagine doing without.

Jim
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Geoffrey Chaucer

On the same theme that Jim I brought up, the rear rail also helps to support my outfeed table, in addition to the extension table to the right of the blade.

That being said, if you don't have an extension table (using a short fence system) and don't need the angle to support your outfeed solution, there should be no harm in removing it. But do consider the future...that rail can come in handy sometimes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Red face

Doh!!!! "The back of the fence doesn't attach to it and nothing else appears to be attached to it,"

Right- nothing attached to the rail except the extension table . Thanks guys - I guess when you look at something long enough, you miss the obvious. Oh well, back to the design table.

Lightbulb TS Back Rail & outfeed table

I have a home Beis fence also have the back rail needed for the support of the fence (there's a screwed foot for the back of the Fence.)
    I also have attached a outfeed table; do look at my web page to see how I did it. Hope this is of help.
    http://home.ix.netcom.com/~krakauer/_wsn/page3.html
    Jerry

Originally posted by Dan McLaughlin
    Oh well, back to the design table.
    There are a lot of great examples of outfeed solutions available to you out there. Mine is just one of them, but you can see it at http://www.sawsndust.com/p-outfeed.htm . It actually uses that pesky rear rail for support at the back of the saw!