Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bought a toolbox full of goodies or lemons?

Question Bought a toolbox full of goodies or lemons?

"If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

If the steel is any good, you've got at least $100 in chisels - never mind all the other gear.

This is the essential tool kit for working by hand.
    It appears that they were carefully used, and bear the signs of competent handling.

It's not the deal of the Century, but you did well.

What's more, what were your freight costs?

PS - I'm doing 75-80% of my handplaning with a similar #4 handplane.
    Properly set up, they're really flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

What's more, what were your freight costs?
    PS - I'm doing 75-80% of my handplaning with a similar #4 handplane.
    This was a local purchase on an auction site. Normally the old hand tools are junk but this one popped up today. The seller is 300kms away but she is will drop it off near my office next week which is handy dandy.

Any idea what hand plane that is? The front knob looks a bit weird.

Those chisel handles resemble Berg or other maker out of Eskilstuna. If they are, they should be good to very good chisels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Takeuchi View Post
    Those chisel handles resemble Berg or other maker out of Eskilstuna. If they are, they should be good to very good chisels.
    Plus, those chisel blades look to be fairly long, so they will last a very long time. I have nearly a full set of tanged Berg chisels, and I rate them all at least very good, if not excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Any idea what hand plane that is? The front knob looks a bit weird.
    It is obviously hard to tell for sure from the picture, but...it looks like a Stanley to me, from what I can see of the lateral adjuster. Also, by what I can see of the brass wheel, it looks to be an older plane (Type 11 or before).

The weird knob was probably a replacement.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Hilton,

I think that's a great find and am sure that the value of the tools will end up being worth at least what you paid. Based on the level of craftsmanship and the inclusion of a full set of full-length Berg chisels, I would assume many of the other tools to be of high quality as well. It would be fascinating to know where that came from. I'm just curious about whether it was made by someone locally, as opposed to having been made by a craftsman who brought it with him when he moved to South Africa. Even if you never use any of the tools, you can certainly clean it up and make it a great display piece.

Congratulations on a great find.

Steve

Chisels look like Berg to me and if they are, probably some of the best going. There were other chisels in the same locale as Berg, with others having a similar appearance, but for the most part, also being good.

The knob & tote of the plane both (sort of) look like replacements, but I recall not long ago seeing a plane (European mfg.) that had a similar style knob. The sides of the plane look a bit different than run of the meal Stanley.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Looks like a fun box of goodies. Hope you fix up the box and use it!

Any idea what is in the tin between the plane and spokeshave? (wax? tallow -- ewww...)

Matt

Except for the lack of saws,except for the keyhole saw, you got a pretty complete kit of someone who made a living with it. Likely a house carpenter. I think the money was well spent. I don't know what the supply of vintage tools in South Africa is like.

As said,those chisels look like Bergs. Can't identify the mortising chisel,but the owner came from Northern Europe,it seems. He wasn't fancy,but he went to the trouble to take care of his tools by making the chest.

Very impressed with the find. As much as I enjoy looking at the new stuff from Veritas, Lie Nielson, Bad axe and the like....when I walk into my shop to actually start working with wood I often find myself reaching for the vintage tool. Something about them I often actually prefer for whatever odd reason. Enjoy your new tools, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Any idea what is in the tin between the plane and spokeshave? (wax? tallow -- ewww...)
    Apparently it's Vaseline Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Except for the lack of saws,except for the keyhole saw, you got a pretty complete kit of someone who made a living with it. I don't know what the supply of vintage tools in South Africa is like.
    George, I've noticed what appears to be a panel saw tucked away vertically behind the chisels. Vintage tools here are pretty scarce and when they do appear they are either in bad shape or the dealer has no idea what they are.

Would you buy a Spear & Jackson that was missing two nuts and had part of the toe missing?

1115493_130619114511_IMG-20130619-00166.jpg

1115493_130619114628_IMG-20130619-00167.jpg

Regardless of the value of the tools, having what appears to be an original kit all together and a piece of history I would think adds to the value considerably - if not in the financial aspect of value, certainly the emotional value. See if you can't find out some of the history, and keep those guys together if you can - it's always a bummer to see something like that slowly parted out. At least, I'm always bummed when I find a well-though out chest with no tools and wonder what exactly went were.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Would you buy a Spear & Jackson that was missing two nuts and had part of the toe missing?
    If the price was right, it wasn't too pitted, and the blade was straight and in good tension, I'd take a shot on it. You're not apt to get much work out of that little missing bit, and you could always snip it off it bothered you. Saw nuts can be replaced easily enough. (If I have any extra left, I'd send 'em if you got it, but I think I'm out.)
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Folk art version of the Studley! Way cool!

I'd've paid that and more.