Thread: Nova Comet II Lathe - Update

Nova Comet II Lathe - Update

After using my Nova Comet II for the last 6 months some, here are additional comments to original post : http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...My-Review-Long . I have not seen other posts so thought an update in order.

I still find the slow speed pulley to lack the ability to deliver any power, but does an adequate job for sanding and being careful with larger out of balance pieces. I prefer using my Powermatic 3520B for the larger out of balance work to have the power and stability to plow though in a timely manner and not have to finesse the work.

I have roughed out fairly balanced log sections up to 10"D with not too much extra work if I can get to run at the 650rpm lowest speed of the middle pulley range. The lathe does a good job or returning rough turned bowls up to the 12" if not too warped and out of balance and it is my go to for that purpose over the Powermatic. I do like the smaller size and handy controls for returning smaller bowls and sanding using the reverse and with the additional hand wheel added to hold the piece for hand sanding. The spindle lock also helps with the hand sanding. I have returned and finished about 40 pieces on the mini instead of using my Powermatic, and tried turning about a dozen lidded boxes. Works well for the smaller balanced work.

I bought a 9"Robust tool rest to use on larger pieces since the 6" provided is too short. I also have the 1" x8" long Don Pencil buffing adapter for buffing, but usually use my bowl buffs on the mini for inside and a larger wheel on 12"L shaft for buffing outside on my Powermatic to have additional room above bed.

The lathe was taken for demo use and being portable and lighter weight was an advantage that I was looking for. Did demo on 8" rough cut bowl blanks, lidded box, and some spindle work. I was able to throw some decent shavings on the green bowl blanks and impress the viewers.

In short, my opinion has gone up and it does get quite a bit of use. I am still working out the plan for a more permanent stand for the shop and holding some tools closer to the lathe. My granddaughter (11 year) also thinks it is OK and easier to use than the big one.

I purchased a Nova Comet II shortly after reading your first review. I bought the package that included the Nova G3 chuck, I felt that it was a very good price. So far I have been very pleased with this lathe. A couple weeks into its usage it developed a vibration after checking everything out I found a loose set screw in the spindle pulley, and that has been the only glitch to date. If you cant afford a bigger, better lathe this is a good place to start, it has all the bells and whistles for a comparatively reasonable price.

Phil Harris

Phil,

We may be the only 2 that have this lathe and I am glad that you are enjoying yours also. I do use mine quite a bit. I do suggest adding a set screw to the handwheel and a larger wood wheel to hold the shaft when sanding. I returned and sanded 5 pieces this morning in an hour or so. A lot easier removing the tailstock with one hand on the mini than sliding the massive one on the Powermatic. I did have one larger bowl that had to wait to go on the big lathe since it was winged about 13 or so diameter and would mount, but not rotate. Guess that is why you always rotate by hand before starting lathe.