Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you've had a damaged Grizzly product, what have they done about it?

If you've had a damaged Grizzly product, what have they done about it?

I got an edge sander. It was damaged in transit, and noted on the delivery receipt.
    Basically the switch box was crushed. I emailed them pictures and said that I was willing to replace the switch box, but had no idea if the rest was okay or not, since there was no switch.
    They said they would get back to me about it.
    I assumed this happens all the time, and would have a quick resolution, but it has been two days.
    I know, it is a good opportunity to learn patience....

But for those of you have have been in this situation, what do they do? Replace the obviously damaged part? Replace the tool? Something else?
    It's my 7th Grizzly tool and my first problem.
    I had a dented motor on a JDS cyclone. It seemed to work okay, and they gave me an extended warranty on it. That seemed fair.

Actually, now that I think about it, there was something wrong with one of my table saw wings and they sent me a new one. But that was a manufacturing defect and not a smashed carton.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 07-13-2013 at 1:13 AM.

So send them a 2nd email.

No offense Wade.

One of the reasons, IMHO, we see so many Grizzly complaints at SMC is because the function within the price range that a lot of hobbyests and small businesses operate. That being said, they should have replied by now.

Send them another email on Monday. The reality is that they probably don't staff Customer Service on weekends.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Why are you not calling them and speaking to a real person??
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I also bought a Grizzly edge sander last fall, and had the same problem - smashed switch and switch box. Called them, and after identifying the part #s that needed replacing, they shipped replacements. Arrived in a week. No charge and no pics required.

Great customer service in my books.

I received a jointer recently with three damaged parts. I contacted Grizzly and talked to a very nice customer service representative. She asked that I assess the damage and to send them pictures. I did that and quickly received an Email indicating that they had shipped the parts to me. I expected a USPS shipment with its attendant wait but no, the parts came via UPS in two days. The entire experience with Grizzly customer service was excellent.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Why are you not calling them and speaking to a real person??
    Because they said they would get back to me. I have worked CS and nagging isn't appreciated.

I think Mark told me what would happen.

I ordered a band saw from them a few years ago. It showed up & looked OK until I unpack it. The doors were pushed in so hard that the nuts that hold the wheels on made large dents on the doors. Called them up, sent a few pics & had two new doors in about a week. What took forever was the stick on labels. They took about a year to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Because they said they would get back to me. I have worked CS and nagging isn't appreciated.

I think Mark told me what would happen.
    Waiting on Customer service is not ideal. It is supposed to be the other way around! A civil follow-up call after a few business days of silence isn't nagging. Sometimes you have be the squeaky wheel. The reps and tech people I've talked to at grizzly have always been very good.

I've had some issues with grizzly tools and they have always been very good about taking care of things. One thing I do like about them is they stock parts for almost everything they have ever sold. The heavy tools that I have bought from them, cabinet saw and floor planer were pretty well crated. I've bought a few heavy tools since but never from grizzly. I do buy quite a bit of other things from them, they have a great catalog, competitive prices and are good to deal with.

I'm visiting my daughter this week and looking at an old crescent Universal woodworker that is rumored to be still operating If it checks out all the grizzly stuff will be going cheap to make room
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Blog Entries
    I had an "Off" switch start slipping (the type that turns to lock before powering on) on a jointer or planer, I forget which. I called customer service and they sent the parts which arrived in a few days, maybe a week(?). My experience has been that they email and call a few times to make sure things are moving along and that the resolution was complete. A recent out of warranty blown starter cap call took a bit longer as they wanted to get me on the phone while at the machine to assist in diagnosis. We do see posts with less than stellar service now and again but, I am in the well-served majority I guess.

The cases where service is reported as terrible makes me think the friction started at the consumer end but, I do not see any sign of that from Wade, quite the opposite actually. I would not hesitate to call and ask for a status on ticket # XYZ however. They are used to fielding those calls. I wouldn't worry about annoying anybody by calling to check.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wade,

I worked customer service for 34 years. I wouldn't hesitate to call them. Tell them you don't mean to be a problem, you realize people get busy or forget but you were promised and expected a returned call. You are hoping to get an update on your problem.

Done in a congenial manner, they won't mind it at all.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

As long as you documented the damage on the shipping receipt you are ok. I think they actually bill the shipping company for the damage but either way tehy take care of you.

Two days is long enough....I'd get back to them. Grizzly likely has many CS reps...not all are in the top 10%, and sometimes things happen that interfere with the communication flow. I usually take down the name of the CS representative, note the time of the call, and often ask for a direct number back to them.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

My G0555LX came without the pads for the fence installed (the little "plastic" sliders that ride on the rail). Called CS and was told that they weren't avail. for quite some time. CS rep suggested a call to their tech services, made the call, had the pads in about 4 days. Go Grizz.
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I was away at work when my GO517 bandsaw was delivered. My wife inspected it and signed the delivery ticket but when I got home, I noticed that the upper door had been bent somewhere in transit. I called Grizzly and they shipped me a new door asap, no questions asked. I was disappointed that I had to transfer that cool Grizzly placque from the damaged door to the new one. I was hoping to have an extra for free.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Yesterday (day 6) someone calls me and asks what the problem is. I told him I have already emailed a complete description and photos to two people there 4 days ago; can't he just look at that? Nope, I have to spend 15 minutes going over it all, and since he wasn't familiar with the machine, it was tough without the photos. He said someone from freight would get back to me in a few days.
    Today I get two return tickets 10 minutes apart. The packaging was shredded in transit and completely destroyed getting the machine out; how am I supposed to ship it back? Just lay it on the skid? She tells me I should tape the shredded packaging around it the best I can, use a lot of tape to hold it together and try to screw it all to the skid. You're kidding... Nope.
    Why are there two return tickets? She doesn't know; but will look into it. One is for the motor and one for the table; they don't want the whole machine back. Didn't any one call me and explain that? Nope, just got two return tickets and no explanation.

Went to UPS today. I will hope for the best, but am not feeling good about this.