Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw with your stupid hand?

Those were interesting articles David. They definitely jive with my personal experience. Dag nabbed young lady just keeps spinning right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Those were interesting articles David. They definitely jive with my personal experience. Dag nabbed young lady just keeps spinning right.
    Play peekaboo using your hands but leave your eyes open, mixing up your timing, and just maybe she'll spin the other way. Work that corpus collosum.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-13-2013 at 3:29 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

If you watch her face then you may have trouble figure out the direction of turneing but if you watch her feet, she spins clockwise then spins counterclockwise, if you only watch her but you will not notice the direction
    IF YOU ARE working on a car or something else that are held together with bolts and nuts , you may be using both hands to thread the nuts on to the bolts I hold bolt with one hand and turn the nuts with the other hand or hold the nut and turn the bolt

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    If you watch her face then you may have trouble figure out the direction of turneing but if you watch her feet, she spins clockwise then spins counterclockwise, if you only watch her but you will not notice the direction.
    I can switch her direction at will and can perform other parlor tricks on the EEG, which, at least, others can witness. Not quite as impressive as The Men Who Stare at Goats, mind you, but it's a start.

My most irritating, and to some, egregious transgression of conventional chirality is my bread resealing technique. I spin the loaf clockwise in my left hand with a quick spank from my right, switch to my right to hold it while twisting the tie counterclockwise with my left. Seems so trivial but drives people crazy.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-13-2013 at 7:17 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

I used to play darts and I could use both hands but was most comfortable with my right. Sawing and layout are right hand mostly. I like the idea of using the hand that works best for the situation; as mentioned for carving.
    At first looking at the spinning lady was one derection then looking at the shadow feet it turned the other way. Kind of blew my mind because I was convinced it could only be turning one way.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

If I concentrate, the girl twirls to the right. If I don't, she twirls to the left.

Oddly, most of the tasks I can do in woodworking can be done with either hand. I used to switch hit in baseball, also. However, I cannot write with my left hand (I can barely write with my right hand, so I don't think much of it).
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Once you learn that, try hammering with your off hand. I can do all kinds of things with my off (right, in my case) hand, but hammering defeats me. It's such a subtle skill for something that seems so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Once you learn that, try hammering with your off hand. I can do all kinds of things with my off (right, in my case) hand, but hammering defeats me. It's such a subtle skill for something that seems so simple.
    hitting baseballs or golf balls WILL take both hands, so will a hoe , axe or sledge hammer AND the police advice you to drive with both hands on the steering wheel, If the weather are that bad then I need to stay at Home

My saw is right handed only. Left handed it works about as good as a regular scissors does for a lefty.

that is freaking wild! I watched her one day and my kids kept saying she was changing direction, but I couldn't see it. Since the concept of right and left is sometimes challenging for them, I dismissed it as the usual baloney. Today, i watched it for several minutes with only one direction, looked down, and back up and realized she was going the other way. Now she seems to flip periodically. Have i evolved? Maybe now I'm ready to tackle sawing left-handed!
    Last edited by Sam Stephens; 07-15-2013 at 1:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Stephens View Post
    Today, i watched it for several minutes with only one direction, looked down, and back up and realized she was going the other way. Now she seems to flip periodically. Have i evolved? Maybe now I'm ready to tackled sawing left-handed!
    While I'm right-handed and right-eye dominant, I'm facile with both hands and feet—helpful if you've ever played liturgical organ. As I mentioned in my first post, while I can do many things with both my left and right, hammering is a right-hand task only. Coarse sawing is right-handed but I can saw dovetails and small tenons with my left and sometimes switch to sawing with my left at the jeweler's bench.

Although I can saw with my left hand, I use different techniques and visual tricks to coordinate, whereas I can saw naturally and more fluidly with my right.

It's an oversimplification, but when learning new piano repertoire my left brain would get a real workout until I got most of the technicals sorted. Interpretation gradually shifted from left to more and longer right brain activity, with performance mostly the right. Everyone's different. Everyone's corpus callosum is different.

I should clarify that the popularized right-left brain paradigm is a grossly simplistic model of what's actually happening, but it does have interesting and useful implications—intriguing is The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, by Julian Jaynes. Won't turn you into a switch sawyer, though.

Practice helps, at any rate. I was taught to shoot dominant eye, both strong and weak hands, then switch to my left eye, both hands.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-15-2013 at 2:35 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

Quote Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
    While I'm right-handed and right-eye dominant, I'm facile with both hands and feet—helpful if you've ever played liturgical organ. As I mentioned in my first post, while I can do many things with both my left and right, hammering is a right-hand task only. Coarse sawing is right-handed but I can saw dovetails and small tenons with my left and sometimes switch to sawing with my left at the jeweler's bench.

Although I can saw with my left hand, I use different techniques and visual tricks to coordinate, whereas I can saw naturally and more fluidly with my right.

It's an oversimplification, but when learning new piano repertoire my left brain would get a real workout until I got most of the technicals sorted. Interpretation gradually shifted from left to more and longer right brain activity, with performance mostly the right. Everyone's different. Everyone's corpus callosum is different.

I should clarify that the popularized right-left brain paradigm is a grossly simplistic model of what's actually happening, but it does have interesting and useful implications—intriguing is The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind, by Julian Jaynes. Won't turn you into a switch sawyer, though.

Practice helps, at any rate. I was taught to shoot dominant eye, both strong and weak hands, then switch to my left eye, both hands.
    when you use a saw with your right hand , wood or metal , do you guide the saw with the left hand until the saw are in its groove

when you use a saw with your right hand , wood or metal , do you guide the saw with the left hand until the saw are in its groove
    It's been awhile since I've pulled out the 26-28" saws, but yes, I generally did guide the initial cut with my left hand unless ripping along the bench top. For dovetails, tenons, most anything with a backsaw, I use only my right, bracing myself against the bench with my left. I will also guide initial cuts on bowsaws.

With hacksaws I use both hands on the frame with my left hand on the front and top. With jeweler's saw frames I generally hold the work with my left against the bench pin and saw with my right—no guide needed.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-15-2013 at 6:02 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

Quote Originally Posted by David Barnett View Post
    It's been awhile since I've pulled out the 26-28" saws, but yes, I generally did guide the initial cut with my left hand unless ripping along the bench top. For dovetails, tenons, most anything with a backsaw, I use only my right, bracing myself against the bench with my left. I will also guide initial cuts on bowsaws.

With hacksaws I use both hands on the frame with my left hand on the front and top. With jeweler's saw frames I generally hold the work with my left against the bench pin and saw with my right—no guide needed.
    NO-GUIDE NEEDED, I do not think that you are talking about small rings, holding small items without a vise must be difficult

NO-GUIDE NEEDED, I do not think that you are talking about small rings, holding small items without a vise must be difficult
    Actually, all you really need for sawing rings is the bench pin. Even sawing a tiny fused jump ring is doable if you can get a finger on it and hold it to the pin. Remember, like a bandsaw the jeweler's saw cuts on the down stroke. When I do need a vise for sawing out parts for settings, I have Benchmates and a Magnavise with all manner of accessories for rings and everything else. Then there are hand vises and ring vises that wedge into the bench pin, pitch sticks, a hardened miter vise* for sawing and filing wire, sheet and tubing, and on and on. But the simplest way is often best—if you can hold it to the bench pin and you can see it, you can saw it.

But I was talking about starting dovetails and tenon cuts with only my right hand.

*One of my favorite bench tools—sort of a combination vise & guide that one saws or files flush against—that and the more usual slotted tubing cutter are the only sawing guides I can recall for goldsmithing.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-15-2013 at 8:34 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε