Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another piece of the Iowa blue pine

Another piece of the Iowa blue pine

This one had some checking after it was roughed. I tried to stop it with ca and was rewarded with the yellow stains on the bottom. It's pretty wood, so I thought I'd share, despite its problems.

SAM_2105.jpgSAM_2106.jpgSAM_2108.jpgSAM_2109.jpgSAM_2107.jpg

Approximately 8" x 10-1/2", just BLO so far. C&C appreciated.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

that's just beautiful wood and a great shape. unless you pointed out the ca stains, i could not find it. great work doug.
    Wes

"Never believe everything you think"

That is a great form to show off the wood Doug! Looks like you maintained the sweep of the curve all the way to the rim...hard to do on a tall piece like that. Size is cool too! Next time I'm in Iowa...
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Doug, that's a really nice piece. The wood is beautiful and, like Jim said, the form is great. Well done! At least in the photo, the stains are not readily apparent.

very nice form Doug, like your wood, how is it to turn?????? i assume it is dry? i admit to trying to turn some green va pine once upon a time, never finished it, it did not look anything like yours.

I love these blue pine pieces you've been turning Doug. This one is one of my favorites. Have you ever given any thought to why the blue fungus staining in the wood doesn't follow the grain lines. I think that really adds to the interest of the wood to see the different lines intersecting. Very pretty piece!

I love the interplay of the grain, the spalting, and the shape. Wow.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Doug, I have some yellow pine with the same blue/black stain. It has a LOT of pitch in it and leaves the shop with a definite turpentine smell. I've just completed a turning from this wood, turned it thin and soaked it in oil. Has a nice translucent appearance to it (similar to NIP). I will post a picture after I finish buffing it. My question has to do with the stain. At first I thought it was from pine bark beetles, based on an internet search. Then I thought maybe spalt, but it doesn't have the punky wood that usually accompanies spalt. Not sure which it is. What are your thoughts?
    Steve

PS Forgot to tell you I really like the shape.and the way it turned out.
    Last edited by Steve Doerr; 07-13-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: PS statement

Really nice piece of wood and I really like the shape of your turning. Well done!...............Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

10. NICE work Doug! You have a nice form and a real looker there!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Doug, that's great. as has been said before, I would not have known about the CA stains had you not mentioned it.
    Excellent form.
    Ben

12. Doug, that's some really outstanding looking wood, what an interesting pattern of colors, and your form is spot on too. This would definitely be a piece I would never let go of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Looks like you maintained the sweep of the curve all the way to the rim...hard to do on a tall piece like that. .
    Thanks, Jim. I was trying to get that right. I wasted a lot of diameter getting the "waist" up. It was at the bottom of the blank and didn't look right. I think maybe I should have raised it a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    how is it to turn?????? i assume it is dry?
    Charlie, it's really soft and tearout can be a problem. You can almost shape it with sandpaper. Also, the finished product is susceptible to damage from dents. It was green at Christmas and I roughed it right away. Hollowing, the wood was still pretty damp, but not wet.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Have you ever given any thought to why the blue fungus staining in the wood doesn't follow the grain lines.
    I have noticed different patterns, Curt. This tree had some sections where the stain radiated out from the center all the way around. Others were only 270 degrees, or just one side mostly, like this one. I don't know much, but aren't there rays in the wood like what shows up in quarter sawn oak? Maybe that's how the stain travels.
    Last edited by Doug Herzberg; 07-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.