Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Squares

Double Squares

Wanting a 6" double square here are the considerations...

Pinnacle @ Wood Craft $44
    iGaging @ Wood Craft $32
    Starrett at Amazon Warehouse Deals $68

I am not opposed to the Starrett but do not want to turn down the others if they are good quality.

I do have several Starrett squares that I got when my father-in-law passed away and treasure them. He was a journeyman patternmaker and worked in both wood patterns and metal patterns, was a great machinist also.

Thoughts?? Opinions??

Thanks

George

George

George, I dont mean to hijack your post. But I was wondering: what would I use a double square to do that a good combo square or just a good set of engineering squares doesnt give me? (I have a nice starrett combo square.) Am I missing a really handy tool? Thanks Sir!
    Fred

Fred,

They are small and easily carried in your apron, easy to work with as a marking gauge, and for great tool set up. I have a 4" and turn to it quite often. I have a Starrett combination square, and a Starrett 24" with a protractor head that is really nice for checking flatness, laying out on sheet goods and squaring large face frames and cabinets. I also have a Starrett 6" engineers square I use often.

George

I have a 4 inch iGaging double square that I like and I am surprised at how much I end up using it. I'm sure it's not like a Starrett tool ( I've never owned or used one), but it's square, cheap and works for me. They also seem to be cheaper here in Canada. Here's where I got mine: http://www.kmstools.com/search/resul...eyword=Igaging

Have a look at Lee Valley 6 inch. I've been happy with my 4 inch.
    Regards,
    Dick

I have both the Lee Valley and the iGaging. Both are good. I have both the 4" and the 6". I use the 4" more.

I like double squares for some work a lot more than combination squares.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Pro...g/7105-4R.html

I've gotten a few different blemish squares from them--nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Pro...g/7105-4R.html

I've gotten a few different blemish squares from them--nice!
    Wow, that's a good price. I see that the 4" is only $13 ($15 for the 6" for those of you who didn't follow the link). I don't need any more but I'm tempted. What's that old saying? "You can never have too many clamps or double squares?"

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    "You can never have too many clamps or double squares?"
    Mike
    Exactly right, you can't have too many double squares! Typically, i keep two in the tool belt at all times. As mentioned, take a look at the Lee Valley double squares. Also, take a look at the double squares made by PEC Tools on Amazon, for example. They are reasonably priced and if I recall, they make double squares for several name brands. Don't overlook eBay either as I've purchased two Starrett double squares in the price range you are looking at, around $40.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    But I was wondering: what would I use a double square to do that a good combo square or just a good set of engineering squares doesnt give me? (I have a nice starrett combo square.) Am I missing a really handy tool? Thanks Sir!
    Fred
    One of the big advantages of the double square to me is that I can set it to gauge a distance, and I still have a square in my hand or pocket to check things with. I rarely use the 45 deg end of any of my combo squares, and I gauge and mark distances all the time. I like the 4" size and have a Starrett, but I like the one from Veritas as well.

Bob Lang

Blog Entries
    +1 on multiples. To Fredrick's question as to how valuable a double square is if you have a combo; I have three 4" doubles and two 6". Some of mine are PEC (makers for Lee Valley, Woodcraft, etc.) that I picked up at a good price during a special. They match my old Woodcraft one exactly. I do like that their imperial models have the head milled to imperial dimensions (3/4" x 1/2" x 2-3/8" on the 4" for example) unlike some others (Rockler for one) I have seen. I keep a 4" at the bench, by the router table and by the large bandsaw. I keep a 6" on the hand tool rack and near the bench as well. When they come by at under $20, a spare is well worth the investment to me. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a 4" Starrett that I bought new around 10 years ago. Out of the dozen's of squares that I have, the Starrett is one of the least accurate. I still use it a lot for marking though.

i have one of the woodcraft ones i think (steel with blue paint), and it was good for a couple years, but the spring and locking screw have now crapped out. i'll probably go with lee valley or starrett in the near future.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Wanting a 6" double square here are the considerations...

Pinnacle @ Wood Craft $44
    iGaging @ Wood Craft $32
    Starrett at Amazon Warehouse Deals $68

I am not opposed to the Starrett but do not want to turn down the others if they are good quality.

I do have several Starrett squares that I got when my father-in-law passed away and treasure them. He was a journeyman patternmaker and worked in both wood patterns and metal patterns, was a great machinist also.

Thoughts?? Opinions??

Thanks

George

George
    The Starrett six inch double square has a hardened head, squares with hardened heads are less likely to wear and have accuracy issues going forward, hardened head squares are also more expensive than plan cast iron heads, even within the Starrett line of squares..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    The Starrett six inch double square has a hardened head, squares with hardened heads are less likely to wear and have accuracy issues going forward, hardened head squares are also more expensive than plan cast iron heads, even within the Starrett line of squares..
    That's true. But for me, I'm much more likely to lose the double square than wear it out. I have quite a few double squares that I bought for cheap. They're accurate and if I lose one, I won't cry over it. If I bought Starrett, I probably wouldn't have bought so many of them, and if I lose a Starrett, I'd cry over it.

Mike