Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one else have a Rose Engine lathe?

Any one else have a Rose Engine lathe?

I have been working on making two Rose Engine lathe. One for my Dad and one for me. I finished up my Dad's and delivered it to him on the July 4th weekend. I have made pairs of everything, I have just been taking a little more time on mine. I am hoping to finish mine up this weekend. Here are some pictures of the MDF parts with some Rattle can silver paint.
    Any one else out there have one of these Rose Engine lathe and play with it? I am having as much fun making it and various accessories as I will making turned pieces, lol.
    Thanks for looking,
    Ron
    IMG_0567.jpgIMG_0568.JPGIMG_0570.jpg
    Ronald Fox

Webmaster - Willamette Valley Woodturners (Salem, OR)
    www.willamettevalleywoodturners.com
    Webmaster -Oregon Woodturning Symposium (Salem, OR)
    www.oregonwoodturningsymposium.com

I've watched Capt Eddie use his quite a bit...little out of my league!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I've been doing a lot of research on the Rose Engine lathe. I'm thing about building one in the near future. I think it would be a lot of fun, both building it and using it. Although, like you, I think building it would be more fun.

Dale Winburn

I based mine on Jon Magill design, you can find the plans on the web. I was able to round up all the parts except the spindle and flange, which a friend made for me. I modified the design by using a half inch steel rod to pivot the headstock on, instead of using the half dozen machined parts that the plans call out. Seemed simpler and seems to work well for me. Bought the rod at home depot and the brass bushings from Granger and the rod fits nice and tight in the bushings.
    Ronald Fox

Webmaster - Willamette Valley Woodturners (Salem, OR)
    www.willamettevalleywoodturners.com
    Webmaster -Oregon Woodturning Symposium (Salem, OR)
    www.oregonwoodturningsymposium.com

I have played with a design that Jack Chick came up with. Since I basically make game calls, I scaled everything around using a 5/8" shaft as my mandrel for the call barrels. In theory it works okay, but I need to spend some money on rosettes and a better cutting system. I started with a Dremel, shaft and bearings are about useless for accurate work. The homemade rosettes have to be dead on, so far I have only made scrap rosettes. Jack Chick's site with a link for his $200 RE and how it's made. http://grandpachick.wix.com/wood-art...omponent_73913

I modified a Jet mini and use a small Proxon right angle carver held in an x-y vise for the cutter frame. I also used a gear reduction motor from a Jet sander feed belt to drive the spindle so all I have to do is set the cutter position and watch it work. I use it a lot for Christmas ornaments, but between seasons it sits around a lot. Just the reason I don't invest in the Lindow machine. Just sits around too much.

Here is another link http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/o-rosego.htm This one is similar to the Jack Chick $200 rose engine, at least based on the same design style for the headstock. For what I want to accomplish this one and Chick's rose engine design is the easiest and cheapest design to convert.

Blog Entries
    Like Dale, I've researched designs quite a bit and have an interest in building one at some point... I just need to find the room for it
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It would not be my style to use one of these but I sure was mesmerized by watching the videos. Good luck.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

i considered making one around 2008, upgraded my lathe instead, have acquired burning, carving, painting tools over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Like Dale, I've researched designs quite a bit and have an interest in building one at some point... I just need to find the room for it
    As I said, mine is for working on game calls, so it doesn't need to be very large, it easily fits in a 12x 18 area. When I set it up I set it on the bed of my lathe, the rest of the time it sets out of the way on a shelf. My expense was the cross slide and my spindle shaft, I had the Dremel, and the wood that I used. Cross slide was around $40, and the spindle shaft was a piece of all thread, less than $5. Now to the upgrades, my cost will exceed a $100, but when, I don't know, as I am building a new shop at our place in New Mexico that has limited my priorities and funds.

What part of NM?
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Ruidoso, straight south of you.

Beautiful area,
    When you approach the lathe you have "the plan", after your first catch you have "the intent".- P. Harbeck

Marvin, could you post a picture of your small rose engine, i have a dremel and a cross slide, the cross slide is for a drill machine,

is it possibe for me to rig something, i do some small boxes......