Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Videoing of personal tragedies

Videoing of personal tragedies

Here is one thing I don't understand. Apparently, these days it is cool to take a video when someone is having a hard time, and post the video on the internet as a joke.

Case in point, one individual lost his truck at a boat ramp, and someone takes the time to video it, and post it on youtube as a joke. No mention that the person may not even be able to go to work the next day, just the joke.

Am I some sort of relic, but when I see someone having a hard time, I think if there is some way that I can help, rather than to post it as a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQpVv11dUTM

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Here is one thing I don't understand. Apparently, these days it is cool to take a video when someone is having a hard time, and post the video on the internet as a joke.

Case in point, one individual lost his truck at a boat ramp, and someone takes the time to video it, and post it on youtube as a joke. No mention that the person may not even be able to go to work the next day, just the joke.

Am I some sort of relic, but when I see someone having a hard time, I think if there is some way that I can help, rather than to post it as a joke.
    Isn't that what reality TV is all about....the ONLY thing it's all about? Anyhow, jut FYI, by posting the link here you're just advertising for him and making him even more popular.

its a perverse form of fun, those that take delight in other peoples tragedies. its fun until it happens to them.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Anyhow, jut FYI, by posting the link here you're just advertising for him and making him even more popular.
    That's true. My concern though is the lack of concern for other peoples losses. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a lack of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I'm not sure what it is, but it's a lack of something.
    Lack of respect IMO, instead of offering a helping hand, just stand there and video tape the poor guy. If it were me I'd offer to help, and if refused I'd go on my way and mind my own business.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Lack of respect IMO, instead of offering a helping hand, just stand there and video tape the poor guy. If it were me I'd offer to help, and if refused I'd go on my way and mind my own business.
    Maybe I'll start taking video of all the jerks taking video. That would be interesting. I'm guessing it will ruffle more than a couple of feathers, not that I've ever had any problem with ruffling feathers.

I think it is awful, look at that show on TV, Americas Funniest Videos, I just don't think it is funny at all to see someone fall off the stage or or get hit with a ball.
    What is funny about a kid on a sled slamming into a tree, I just don't get it and that is why I don't watch any of those shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I think it is awful, look at that show on TV, Americas Funniest Videos, I just don't think it is funny at all to see someone fall off the stage or or get hit with a ball.
    What is funny about a kid on a sled slamming into a tree, I just don't get it and that is why I don't watch any of those shows.
    That's exactly the way I feel about it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I used to watch AFV but it got to the point that too many were staged or somebody was going to a.fall; b. drop their drawers; c. loose their teeth; or d. get hit in the groin with something.
    Many of them make you ask "Why were the taking the video?" Answer: Hoping yo win the $10K

As to the OP, I agree. It's as bad as news reporters sticking a camera and microphone in someone's face and asking how they feel about their loved one being killed or their house burning down.

For better or worse, virtually all humor is based on misfortune, whether your own or someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post

As to the OP, I agree. It's as bad as news reporters sticking a camera and microphone in someone's face and asking how they feel about their loved one being killed or their house burning down.
    Agreed.. One of the big reasons I don't watch much local news anymore.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I actually have a related problem with most TV shows. You start out liking a character (or at least sympathizing with them) and then it turns out that they're a jerk as well .. and hey everyone on the show is a jerk. Don't like any of them, can't even really feel sorry for them just really don't even want to deal with them at all. I get to deal with plenty of jerks in my real life, why would I want to watch a bunch of people being jerks on tv as well? I can't decide if its gotten worse or if I'm just more sensitive about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    For better or worse, virtually all humor is based on misfortune, whether your own or someone else's.
    Humor is based on another's misfortune.
    Tragedy is based on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Help, how. Pull the whole thing out yourself.

I didn't hear a single word from the person taking video, that made a joke of the whole thing.
    Maybe the person taking the video just happened upon the scene. Maybe it was his brother, and was asked to post it.
    Maybe some thicker skin is in order around here. You don't know the whole story.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

This is no different than gawkers on the freeway or various other day in and day out news items. Nothing wrong with the video per se. Maybe it will even help one of us to remember to set the parking brake or put it into park the next time we visit the boat landing.