Thread: bowl gouges with true parabolic flutes

bowl gouges with true parabolic flutes

Just curious about which of the tool manufacturers make a TRUE parabolic fluted bowl gouge.
    I know hamlet makes one but who else??
    And no this thread isnt an inquiry about whether or not they are better than a "U" or "V" shaped gouge just want to know who makes them.

Yea I know i spelled "BOW" wrong but hit post before i proof read what I wrote

A straight edge held against the sides of the flute of my D-Way and my Thompsons both show no light, i.e. straight sided. My Crown (Ellsworth) on the other hand is not flat anywhere on the inside. I don't own any Sorby bowl gouges, but I understand they may use a parabolic flute.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The Packard side grind bowl gouges have parabolic flutes according to the paper catalog (online listing is ambiguous) -- items 100181 and 100180 [3/8" and 1/2" respectively]. My favorite gouges -- the flute does not clog, unlike almost all the other bowl gouges I have and have used. The 3/8" was the first tool I used to the point that there was no tool left (after 5 years). Replaced it with another of the same.

My Crown Davis Ellsworth Pro PM bowl gouge is supposed to be parabolic. Can I tell the difference from the U or V? Yes. It is one of my favorites. Don't know why. I guess it feels better. Hard to explain.

Parabolic, I think, means the curve is not an arc of a circle, like a spindle roughing gouge is. The parabolic curve can be many different shapes.

robo hippy

Parabolic would be like the graph of Y=X^2 - the sides are an ever changing curve which would approach vertical very far from the center.
    parabola_graph2.gif

Sides are not very different from straight, but are slightly curved. It is easier to machine straight sides, or at least it is easier to maintain (hone) the bits used to machine straight sided flutes. Or so I've been told .

The parabolic shape can be wider or narrower and still be parabolic.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Sorby, Hamlet and Oneway bowl gouges have elliptical flutes. I am sure there are others as well.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

I took a hands on class with Glenn Lucas from Ireland and he strongly prefers parabolic flutes. Craft Supplies is carrying his line of signed turning tools so I am sure that they are parabolic. I am reasonably sure that Sorby and Hamlet are parabolic.

Cheers,
    David
    Last edited by David Gilbert; 07-17-2013 at 1:41 PM. Reason: Removed a comment about a manufacturer.

Oneway and Sorby bowl gouges are parabolic, D-Way is not. The Stuart Batty gouges will be if they ever get into production. I don't know about any of the others.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome