Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I messed up my lens already?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Have I messed up my lens already?

So been using the speedy 400 for the odd job and lots of testing. I cut a job of some small wood pieces (veneer MDF 6mm) and cleaned the lens before the job. After the job, I cleaned the lens and have this spot on it which won't come off. Now I know some people have mentioned using vinegar and other things to get it off, but don't really want to use something that will further mess it up. How do I clean this thing up?

Thanks

Jitphoto.jpg
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Blog Entries
    It looks salvageable, but you may have ot putt a little elbow grease into cleaning it. Any darker and I would say the lens is damaged. Clean using your normal method, but this time you won't get away with wet-and-drag, you'll need to do some rubbing with the Q-tip.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I agree, I think you are fine. Could be damaged, but I've done a lot worse myself and it's come clean. Make sure you don't run the machine with the nose cone on and the air off. That'll cause what you see there. Not saying that's what caused it, but it will cause a serious issue. Air On- Nose Cone On. Air Off- Nose Cone Off is my rule.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

What would cause that after only an hour and half of cutting?
    Jit Patel
    London UK

80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic

Blog Entries
    It's an avalanche process... once a small amount of residue sticks to the lens, that area heats up, which allows more residue to stick, and so on.

Thanks guys. Nose cone was on, air was on....so not sure where I went wrong. Is it a point of just scrubbing hard for ages?
    Jit Patel
    London UK

Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic

Blog Entries
    Think of it in terms of many many light strokes rather than a few hard ones. You want to soften that residue without scratching the lens.

Got it, thanks guys...really appreciate it. Will post up when I get it off!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic

I would avoid scribing hard as the AR coatings are fragile, I have used distilled vinegar ( the clear stuff) to great effect on dirty optics ! There's a company near me in Stevenage that sell new optics and cleaning kits, they make the highest grade optics and are pretty helpful if you need optic advise (umicore)
    hope you can recover it Jit, how are you getting on with new machine?
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

Guys you are brilliant! All done - just some elbow grease needed. I was worried about scrubbing too long just in case I scratched it as my galvo would never get build up like this as it is too far away from the bed. Thanks again Clean.jpg
    Jit Patel
    London UK

Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Jiten Patel View Post
    What would cause that after only an hour and half of cutting?
    Insufficient air flow on the exhaust. I had that for a while and I could not keep my lens clean. Upgraded my exhaust for it and it immediately resolved the issue.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

If you haven't done so already, I would pop off the bottom cover at the back of the unit and make sure the air assist valve is opened up. If it was already wide open, stick with the nose cone that has the smaller opening for higher air assist pressure.
    Jon Colley
    Trotec Canada

Right, so I will turn up my air assist. The exhaust is a Trotec atmos, so should have sufficient air flow should it now? The thing is built for these machines?

Matt, getting on great. Love playing with it....far more complicated than the galvo's that's for sure. So many things to think about before running a job, but I guess it will become second nature with practice. Got hundreds of product ideas, just trying to source everything I need to make and package them and we are away. The second business should be launching Jan 14 if all goes well. Lots of R&D to do...which means lots of £££!

Jon, thanks for the advise....not sure what you mean by opening the back of the unit and the air assist valve....do you have pics?
    Jit Patel
    London UK

Oki Printing Press
    Vector Magic

Mmmn - interesting thread!
    I just took delivery of my new Speedy 400 yesterday. I'd had a 300 since the beginning of the year on loan and cut LOADS of MDF (which is messy!)

Anyway, I used the vacuum bed with the 400 - first use - engraving (actually light vector cut lines) on 2mm MDF - job ran for 100mins. it was only when it was trying to run the 30 second cutout that I noticed it wasn't cutting well at all...

The 2.0" lens is absolutely ruined!!!...

I noticed that the air assist was off in Job Control, but to be honest after many many similar omissions with the 300 - nothing like this has happened before! It looks like a new lens - I've tried cleaning / soaking etc...

Bit of a blow after only a couple of hours use

I'm using an out-to-air kit - 1.5KW blower with a 150mm pipe and a 'T' off to the vacuum port on the machine... (all Trotec Supplied)

Gutted!!!!
    GCC Puma III Vinyl Cutter
    CorelDraw X6
    Adobe Photoshop / Adobe Illustrator CS6
    Alibre Design
    SprutCAM 7 & 8
    Aspire 3.0

Blog Entries
    At least it;s a relatively inexpensive resolution, Tony... imagine if you had let a fire run unabated in the machine. That would have hurt a bit more.