Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That Strange chisel? New life for it?

Cool That Strange chisel? New life for it?

Got an old chisel, just the blade and the ferrel. Decided it needed a handle. Couldn't get the lathe out from all the junk sitting on it. So, looking around for something to use as a handle. Found a cheap old parting tool. Don't even use the thing. Got the blade out of the handle, and stashed it away ( Maybe a future marking knife??) Got to loking at the wood left. Seemed a bit bass ackwards. Decided to leave it's ferrel in place as the top of the "NEW" handle. No lathe, no problemski. Fired up the grinder, and ground a rough profile to match the new ferrel. got close, the smoothed it down with the belt sander. Don't have a spokeshave.

Once it looked like things would go together, I clamped the blade in the vise, loade up the other two parts onto it, and drove them "home". Then, since I had something to hand onto, I sharpened the 1" wide chisel up.

Yeah yeah, Pictures, right? Here goesSDC15572.jpgSDC15573.jpgSDC15574.jpgBevel side, back side, and the edge. Giving an old chisel new life??

Nice going.
    Some of my favourite tools are modified and have a personal touch, which makes them a joy to use.

And, now I have a parting tool's business end, sans handle. Maybe grind it into a marking knife?? Maybe flatten one side, and grind an edge on the other side. One knife edge, or two??? Would it need a handle??

Richard,that cheap chisel is going to have cheap,minimal carbon content in it. As I mentioned,I used those flat,punched out blade chisels as a teenager when I had NO money to buy better tools. I doubt it will stay sharp for long at all. You'd be better using your energy refurbishing better chisels.

IF any arrive, that is. The Cosair one MIGHT be the cheapo Tool Steel one. The one from "The Cleveland File Co. " might be just a tad better. Not much in the way of chisels worth the effort around this area...

Unless a chisel that old has a proper bolster,or a socket,it is going to be bottom tier. The old stamped chisel I had was also only about 1/8" thick,and certainly would not have stood much force without bending.

Well, I guess at $3 for two chisels, one can not expect L-N results, eh? Tried a few times, just to see IF they would bend a bit.........nothing happened. These are both Paring Chisels, and just a hand to "drive" them is all that is needed. I can use either of these "cheap" chisels to work on tenons and such. So far, edges have stayed very sharp. Seems to work in the stuff I do in my shop, anyway....

And, for a lousy $3 for the pair. Time that was "wasted"? Maybe an hour. Whoppee!

Neither the Corsair chisel, nor the Cleveland File Co. chisel were build for heavy duty work, these are NOT for anything but slicing a sliver of wood off a tenon. Since they are quite thin, but the sides are beveled, they can get into places George's "fat & thick" chisels just can not go. Maybe light taps with a wooden Mallet will be about all the force these need to do their work. Have tried them out on some Beech, and some Oak. Still quite sharp, nothing wrong with either edge.

Not sure what one is doing to bend a chisel? Hate to see what that person could do to a crank-neck chisel.... Maybe they use a chisel for Demo work, or removing stuck concrete forms with a chisel? I think I am a little more precise when using a chisel, and do not need to wrench one around like a crow bar.

I think you must know I am a little more skilled than that!

If you are happy with them,that is all that matters to you. To me,it's just another been there,done that.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-17-2013 at 7:52 PM.

Quite happy to finally get a couple good paring style chisels. As for the "stable" I have to work with?SDC14163.jpg Afraid all I can do is keep on, keeping on....

Stephen,I bow to to your superior woodworking experience.Please forgive me . I have tried to relate my experiences to you and have been ridiculed for my efforts. Thank you. I will not attempt further contact with you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-18-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Ok, ok, have it your way....

Came from a family of carpenters, with several Uncles building their own homes. Being working with wood since "middle' school, back in the 60s....

Tool budget for me is about....$10 every two weeks. mainly yard sales, maybe some ebay. Lumber comes in whenever I find some, even if it is a barn that fell down. Just the way my "Hobby" works. Besides all the other bills to be paid each month, there just isn't much left for expensive toys... Besides, is it the price of a tool that counts, or the skill being used to wield a tool? "Can't do any good work without Brand X Tools" sort of baloney? I merely learned how to use what I had...SDC14924.jpgJust some old Barn wood...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 07-17-2013 at 11:41 PM.

It is not necessary for you to ridicule me because you do not understand what I am trying to tell you,Stephen. I don't know about those Stanley butt length chisels,but if you look at most all chisels,you will see that where the chisel narrows down at the handle,it is thicker. At the cutting edge,they are thinner. It is thicker because it reinforces the weak,thin area at the handle. That is where those cheap,stamped chisels can bend. I didn't say you couldn't do good work with them. I did good work with mine when my budget was non existent unless I could find a lawn to mow for a dollar.
    However,they are still cheap,bottom tier chisels. If you like them,have at it. But,please do not make exaggerated and untrue stories up about how I abuse my tools. You know it just isn't true. Have a good night,then.

In museums I have seen 15th. Century work that was consistently better than 17th. C. work. They had better tools in the 17th. C. They didn't have better workmen,apparently. I carved that rose with a jeweler's saw and a plain bench knife.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-17-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post

Came from a family of carpenters, with several Uncles building their own homes. Being working with wood since "middle' school, back in the 60s....
    Came from a family of Catholics, with a grandfather who was a very devout convert. Started Catholic schooling at 5 years old, back in the late 80s...

Guess that automatically makes me a good Catholic

-----
    I'm just being goofy Steven.

Though, in seriousness, no where did George tell you that you needed to go buy LN chisels or spend more money on anything nor did he say you couldn't do good work with the chisel you show.

He simply said "You'd be better using your energy refurbishing better chisels." Pretty sure his point was that you if you were so inclined you could find old chisels of higher quality to refurb without spending any (or very little) additional money. Good vintage chisels for under $10 can be plentiful if you keep you eyes open.

My inclination, when someone (especially someone like George, but really anyone) offers that type of feedback would be to ask questions first, reflect on and evaluate that advice, and then later decide for myself whether or not I wanted to take that advice.
    BTW, he also said "If you are happy with them,that is all that matters to you."

I'm not sure why someone would post something to an open forum if they didn't want feedback. Personally, I'm grateful when someone gives me that type of feedback, especially when it is someone with as much knowledge as George, but again really from anyone. Good advice can come from any number of sources. Of course, engaging in discourse about why one did/didn't/will/won't choose that route can be very educational but even in those cases where I flat out disagree with the feedback and I am still greatful for it and try to take what I can from it.

George was obviously trying to help and give constructive feedback, I be inclined to thank him for that as opposed to imply that he doesn't know what he is doing.

(FYI: I realize that perhaps you were just being humorous. Hard to tell in writing sometimes. If that's the case, please ignore all I said above. I do, however, recommend the use of the winking smiley-con to denote facetiousness )
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 07-18-2013 at 8:21 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

So, how would YOU feel, after working half a day on a tool to make like new, only to be told that you are just wasting your time? That the Vintage tool that needs just a little tuning to make it like new is just cheap junk?

Might even say the same things about the 60+ year old Millers Falls planes I have been restoring to like new?

All I did was give an old neglected chisel a new lease on life. I won't be giving a "Bendability" test just to see IF it will bend. Edge is mirror bright and very sharp, and the back is polished to the same mirror like shine, like all the edges in my shop.

Am I a Pro? I was for a few years, since I worked as a Carpenter, doing factory, and school builds. Nowadays, things I make are for around MY house. With the tools and supplies as I can afford. Payment is in the looks from the Family when a new item is made for them, or the house. that lap desk was for a grandson, and he loved it. that is what pays me......