Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumberyard yard / sawmill in Washington DC area

Lumberyard yard / sawmill in Washington DC area

Hi everyone. I want to build a country style dining room table and has been looking for lumbers in the Washington, DC area. Can anyone recommend some good local lumberyards within a 50 miles radius?

I want to buy either alder, maple, or anything soft in the hardwood family. My tabletop will be 1 1/4 inches thick and the legs will be 3 1/2 inches thick.

I visited Smoot Lumber in Alexandria, VA and Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield, VA but their prices are really high. I would have to spend $600+ for just the lumbers.

Has anyone been to Hardwoods, Inc in Frederick, MD? hardwoodsincorporated.com

Thanks for the help.

- Huan Feng
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-18-2013 at 9:06 AM.

I've heard very positive comments about http://www.herbinehardwood.com, but I haven't used them yet. They are just north of Leesburg, VA.

www.localwoodva.com is in Berryville, VA. Probably too far for you.

C.P. Johnson Lumber in Culpeper is a good source and increasing his supply of hardwood choices continually. Chris is a great guy and has some good bargains. Here's a link to his web site: http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/

He's located right near the airport in Culpeper.

I usually go to Exotic Lumber. They have locations in Annapolis and Gaithersberg.

Huan-

Let's analyze this a little more.

The price of $600 included what exactly? How many bf, and what thickness and width of boards.

If you are willing to glue up your legs and can do everything from 4/4 then you might save some $$.

Also, what kind of wood was that price for? Consider also birch or poplar. Soft maple can be quite economical, but is ironically not that soft.

Vienna Hardwoods in Vienna, VA. They have prices online.

http://www.viennahardwood.com/products.html
    Last edited by Jacob Reverb; 07-17-2013 at 7:51 PM.

Another source is Northland Forrest products in Manassas, VA: 703 393-7500. Another source (though I've never used them, picked up a brochure at a wood show) is Dunlap woodcrafts in Chantilly: www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com. One more, if you don't mind traveling a little: Hicksville Planing Mill, in Clear Spring, MD had some good prices a couple years ago. Haven't checked lately: 301 842-3474.

Exotic lumber, and hardwoods inc are both OK. They both have prices posted online and have a good selection. People also talk about Hicksville planing, but I have never been there.

It has been a few years since I was at the Hicksville Planing mill. At that time they did not take credit cards. Cash or check. Nice people to work with.

There is a great, farm based lumberyard located outside of Suffolk, VA called SR Hardwoods. Chris has a lot of extraordinary curly maple and cherry, as well as a plethora of exotics at very reasonable prices. Send me an e-mail if you would like his contact info; I highly recommend him.

I'll give another plug for Hicksville Planing Mill. Excellent selection, great prices, nice people. Cash or check only, no cursing or you will get kicked out... Restack the wood piles you dig through and don't drool too much.

All of their lumber is rough sawn but you can get it surfaced three sides while you wait.

Closed on Thursday and Sunday and at noon on Saturday. If you call let it ring, they don't use answering machines and are always busy.

-Alden

I have been to Exotic lumber in Gaithersburg and liked their selection. I went during a Lie-Nielsen show and plan to go back as the prices were not outrageous for this area. Probably higher than others pay but that is how it works around DC. If you are making a large purchase head up to Hearne Hardwoods just over the PA line.Amazing place but Exotic Lumbers prices are close enough that the trip isn't worth it unless you really want something different or large quantity.

I'm in Arlington, and my lumberyard of choice is Northland Forest Products in Manassas. Not to far out of the way and nice folks. Vienna Hardwoods is closer, but NFP has better prices. I've heard good things about Hicksville planing, but never been.

i get most of my domestics from maple ridge lumber (powhatan), he generally has better prices than most. but after you figure your time and fuel the cost savings may become a wash.

I think you're on the right track, here.

It might be helpful to know what the OP's skill set contains,
    the design and total number of board feet required for the project.

A top requiring boards (dressed) to 5/4 would start at 6/4 minimum.
    Figuring 36" wide and 6 feet long, that's more than 30 board feet just for the top.

Even at $3 bf we're already up to $90 and that's not for "pretty" boards.
    Professional lumber yards can be an excellent resource if you come on off days
    and are willing to buy from a lift of extras and over runs.

If you want premium quality for a home project, you're in competition with the larger
    cabinet and millwork shops that wouldn't blink at $600 for an order.

If this is a starter project, a local sawyer, arborist or retiring hobbyist (try Craigslist - search "lumber" "cherry", etc.) will be less expensive.

http://www.woodfinder.com/