Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Six Drawer Chest

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Myers View Post
    I'm generally pretty thrifty too, but given the cost of the mahogany, the maple was very economical,, especially since I scored a 10' log milled to 1/2" thickness (i wanted it for drawer sides and boxes) for under $100. That worked outto well under a dollar per board foot .
    Thanks for all the kind comments!
    Roger
    Roger after buying 150 board feet of Mahogany from Irion Lumber for the last couple of projects, believe me you are preaching to the choir. The Mahogany was super nice, but I still contend that it should have been delivered in a armed armor truck rather than the freight truck the Mahogany was delivered in...

Great job !
    MARK

Outstanding piece Roger, fantastic.

Love the crotch mahogany front. Color on the body is a bit dark for my taste as I think it hides the clearly outstanding joinery on the body.

Drawers are superb.

Question though - did you consider a mitered dovetail for the case joinery? DEFINITELY not a critique because your pieces are way beyond my abilities and there is no way I could execute the joint but just a question about your design choice.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Blog Entries
    Nice chest. Are you a professional photographer as well?

Bruce,

Just to let you know that your avitar is snoozing in my living room.

Do all black labs have red collars?
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-19-2013 at 8:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Fox View Post
    Outstanding piece Roger, fantastic.

Love the crotch mahogany front. Color on the body is a bit dark for my taste as I think it hides the clearly outstanding joinery on the body.

Drawers are superb.

Question though - did you consider a mitered dovetail for the case joinery? DEFINITELY not a critique because your pieces are way beyond my abilities and there is no way I could execute the joint but just a question about your design choice.
    Thanks for the comments... The color is what the mahogany will end up looking like in 100 years or so, I just accelerated the process..and in person doesn't look quite as dark...there is even some curl in the mahogany on the sides that shows up better in person.
    While I would normally do a mitered dovetail on the corner and have done this in case work, it was not an option on the North Benett Tool chest as there are some fairly strict parameters. I had already pushed the limit with the curly maple drawer sides ( figured wood normally only allowed in the panel) and by adding one more row of drawers than allowed by the parameters.
    The reason for the strict parameters is to make sure people don't get carried away and make this a two year project, when the focus is on learning and improving skills.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Nice chest. Are you a professional photographer as well?

Bruce,

Just to let you know that your avitar is snoozing in my living room.

Do all black labs have red collars?
    No, a serious amateur photographer... These pics were done by Lance Patterson at the school... He is an amazing photographer and furniture maker. See my post regarding this earlier in this thread.
    Roger

That is one beautiful chest. I can understand your pride in the finished piece. Congratulations.