Thread: First Built In

First Built In

Here is my first built in project. Thanks to everyone on the finishing forums for there advice. This was my first project spraying with my Earlex 5500 HVLP and I had lots of questions. The cabinets are made of birch ply and soft maple and finished with Target Coating EM6500. I have used poplar on some night stands before and boy do I like the soft maple better. The top is 6/4 walnut. I sent the top to a local cabinet shop to be glued up as I don't yet have a jointer or planer. The walnut was S2S and straight line ripped but when I ripped it down to size on the table saw and tried to glue it up there were gaps. I think the saw blade might not have been at 90 degrees. Anyway for 50 bucks they jointed, glued it up and sanded it smooth! The walnut was finished with Target Coatings EM2000. There were some gaps between the stiles and the wall on the upper piece but they filled with caulk pretty nice. Still not sure on the whole scribing the stiles to the wall thing! This is definitely not the same caliber as most of the stuff on here but I wanted to share anyway.

IMG_4755.JPGIMG_4756.JPGIMG_4757.JPGIMG_4759.JPG

Really nice storage unit you made.

Looks pretty good to me.

Yeah, nicely done. Always a challenge fitting a built-in between 2 walls, so for your first effort you took on a tough one and did great.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge