Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Varnish and Beeswax?

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Just a friendly little game played on Scott's tag line. But, in reality, if you define art thusly :The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture ... I would contend that finishing, while a learned skill, is not truly an expression of imagination in the typical sense. The overall piece that is being finished may be considered an art form, and the finishing is a component of the overall project, but the finishing in and of itself, in my opinion does not constitute art. Just depends on what you consider art to be. I would contend that you do not need to be an artist to accomplish beautiful finishes, nor does being an artist mean you can produce beautiful finishes. It is a learned skill that can be accomplished by individuals from all walks of life ... artist or not ... if they are willing to put forth a reasonable amount of time learning and practicing.

Page 68, from the book titled Sam Maloof, Woodworker written by Sam Maloof.
    Copyright 1983...
    A good 20 years after the introduction of Poly to the consumer market - so - it's a proper fit in the time line.
    Although - as you said - in his own words - pretty much makes that a moot point.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

[QUOTE=Bob Wingard;2135470]Just a friendly little game played on Scott's tag line. But, in reality, if you define art thusly :The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture ..

Bob, Your definition is one way to consider art. Another is: a skill acquired by experience, study, or observation. At times when finishing, the object may be considered the art. What about a simple vase with a Japanese lacquer that has lasted centuries; which is the art form? A French polish that is so thin, incredibly transparent and perfect that it makes the object sing. Intimating that it's just the mechanics of "a finish" is in my opinion erroneous.

Finishing is certainly a learned skill, "but not truly an expression of imagination" (quote) Personally I find we're only limited by our imaginations. A Waterlox finish can be accomplished by anyone and be attractive. Is it art or imaginative? I would contend no in that case. Take a guitar, a Stratocastor or a Les Paul for example. Beautiful objects in their own right. Add imagination, color acumen and skill and the finish not only competes with but completes the art form.

I've seen many fine pieces of furniture I consider highly artistic rendered utterly mundane by an unimaginative finish. One with an artistic eye and imagination can transform mundane into lasting beauty. To me that's an artist or artisan if you prefer.

I've seen many fine pieces of furniture I consider highly artistic rendered utterly mundane by an unimaginative finish
    I've also seen the reverse quite a few times....
    A simple piece ruined by someone "overdoing it".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I've also seen the reverse quite a few times....
    A simple piece ruined by someone "overdoing it".
    Hi Rich,
    How true...........any examples come to mind?

Using a high gloss poly on a nice simple Shaker style table is one that comes to mind.

Another - which is one of my pet peeves - is when someone tried to "Victorian-ize" a Craftsman style house by giving it a 5 color paint scheme - usually poorly selected colors to boot.
    I know this is way outside the scope of this forum - but -IMHO, there is a measure of artistic ability involved with some aspects of finishing.

Picture frames are another place where overdoing it is common. A good frame should add to the painting, w/out overpowering it. It takes a real master/artist to create and finish a "great" picture frame - although doing a "good" job isn't too difficult.