Thread: Finishing Lacewood

Question Finishing Lacewood

Does anyone have a suggestion about the best finish to use on Australian lacewood?
    I brought a piece back with me as a souvenir from my visit to Western Australia. I'm thinking of making a small display platter that need not be food safe. The grain and variations in colour are very beautiful. Any ideas what would be best to show it off?
    Thanks
    John

John, not sure of your location, but ANY wood finish sold in the US is food safe once it has cured. So, don't worry about the food safe thing.

Now, what is the best finish to bring out the beautiful flecks in lacewood? Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm sure poly will do a great job. I'm sure others will, too. Anything that woodworkers use to bring out the flecks in quartersawn white oak would likely work equally as well with lacewood.
    I drink, therefore I am.

John, I use a lot of the Silky Oaks from the Eastern side of Aus, and my favourite is a mix of Danish Oil and Poly 3 parts to 1. Only problem is I cant remember which is which, so I will have a look tonight and repost. The thing I like about it is it gives a good build, sanding between coats to fill the porous grain structure, and leaves a satin finish that can be repaired if damaged.
    hope this helps,
    rgds,
    Richard.

Thanks for the advice Robert , Mike and Richard.

I recenlty bought some General Finish "Fini Wood Turners Finish" a water based wipe on poly and, based on Robert's experience gave it a try. This was my first time using it on a project as opposed to a test piece. The results so far have been very pleasing. I have as yet only applied two coats but the colours and depth of colours are most encouraging.

I'll post a photo when done in a few days.

Cheers
    John