Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trend Air Shield Pro Sale

Trend Air Shield Pro Sale

Peachtree Woodworking is having a 25% off sale on Trend Air Shield Pro (and accessories) and I'm thinking of getting one. My question is what are the extra's that I should get? They list: 1) visor replacement overlay (10 pack); 2) 8 hr replacement battery; 3) remote battery cradle; and 4)filter pack. Regular price for the total package is $600.96 the sale price for the total package is $442.21.
    A couple of other questions: 1) How long do the filters last and can they be cleaned? 2) What is the rating on the face shield? 3) What kind of charger is included with just the Air Shield Pro?
    Thanks
    Steve
    PS Sale is good thru midnight 7/23/13

i have the older model, get the overlays, yes on filter pack, you can clean them with water, remote battery cradle????is that the recharger, if so yes, i have two batters and use both at the same time, better air flow, not sure on the rating of face shield, how much you change the filters depends on use, wood type, scarper vs gouge, dry vs green wood, ie the usual, i have an extra motor but have not used it yet

i bought the trend before upgrading lathe, it is an important feature unless outside shop with fan blowing across you and the lathe

Might want to check threads on Trend Airshield Pro here and at AAW Forum. Seems to be lots of pros and cons. I don't own one, but those that do have given some mixed reviews. - John

They work great for the intended purpose. The carry a medium impact rating by Canadian Stanards. I bought the overlays on ebay...filters too come to think of it. I blow mine out of the flow meter indicated reduces flow with a full battery charge.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

That's just a little more than I paid for mine with the 10 pack of overlays (no battery charger and no extra battery). The charger that comes with it is a transformer that plugs into the back of the helmet. The advantage of the cradle is you can keep working with the second battery. I'm almost always able to go as long as I want with one battery and an overnight charge. I'm still on the first set of filters after almost two years of once or twice a week turning.

I would (and did) buy more overlays. I have always been nearsighted and age hasn't improved things. Adding a layer of splattered finishes mixed with sawdust just makes things worse. Better to peel off the old overlay for $3 than ruin a piece you've been working on all day or more. Better still to step to the side when applying finishes on the lathe. I've heard of some people putting an overlay on the inside of the visor to protect it from their glasses, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

I am pleased with my purchase, but I haven't used any other product other than a cheap face shield and N-95 dust mask, so I can't help with a comparison.

Thanks for the tip. I may check out some accessories myself.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I've had the Pro for a few years now. Here's my thoughts. Get the extra battery and remote cradle. I've changed my overlay maybe twice. I have an extra filter set, but have just blown out the old ones by putting the air gun inside the filter and back flowing. They seem to keep working fine. My nose stays clean, so I feel it's working for me. Good luck, I think you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    I've had the Pro for a few years now. Here's my thoughts. Get the extra battery and remote cradle. I've changed my overlay maybe twice. I have an extra filter set, but have just blown out the old ones by putting the air gun inside the filter and back flowing. They seem to keep working fine. My nose stays clean, so I feel it's working for me. Good luck, I think you'll like it.
    Josh - would you opt to buy the charging cradle or build one as has been shown here? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...attery-Charger

(I was thinking of getting the mask, shields, & battery)

Thanks,

Mike

I've had mine for about 4 years now. I'd get the overlays, the extra battery and the cradle. In my opinion, the charger that comes with it is second rate. I'd get the charger mentioned in the thread about rebuilding the batteries with better and much less expensive components. It's a smart charger and actually extended the life of my original batteries before I finally rebuilt them. I haven't had to change the filters yet. I've blown them out (gently) a couple of times, though.
    There's many opinions on it in the various forums, but I really like mine. Only use it for sanding, and I tend to sand at low speeds, so the impact rating is of less concern to me than protecting my lungs. For turning I use the + rated Uvex Bionic faceshield.

I have had mine for just over 2 years. It is for particulate, not for fumes. The 3M Airstream takes care of both particulate and fumes. I bought the battery cradle and extra battery, one set of filters and changed them once - it made a big difference after a year and a half. You have to be careful of damaging the filter when you blow them out with compressed air. I also bought the overlays. You can wash the overlays, but it is nice to put a clean one on once in a while (a year).

I really like it and notice the difference when I dont wear it (which is very seldom now) when sanding - on the lathe or flat projects.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I've had mine for about 4 years now. I'd get the overlays, the extra battery and the cradle. In my opinion, the charger that comes with it is second rate. I'd get the charger mentioned in the thread about rebuilding the batteries with better and much less expensive components. It's a smart charger and actually extended the life of my original batteries before I finally rebuilt them. I haven't had to change the filters yet. I've blown them out (gently) a couple of times, though.
    There's many opinions on it in the various forums, but I really like mine. Only use it for sanding, and I tend to sand at low speeds, so the impact rating is of less concern to me than protecting my lungs. For turning I use the + rated Uvex Bionic faceshield.
    Jeff - just curious why you don't use the filtered mask for turning. (I thought this is one tool that generated lots of airborne dust)

Thanks,

Mike

I'd just build one. The stock one is not made very heavy and the charger will not turn off. I don't use the stock charger any more and use the one in the thread below. I keep my battery on it all the time (past year) and have never had an over charge. It does a good job turning off completly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Josh - would you opt to buy the charging cradle or build one as has been shown here? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...attery-Charger

(I was thinking of getting the mask, shields, & battery)

Thanks,

Mike

Rich,

You mentioned "The 3M Airstream takes care of both particulate and fumes"

The 3M AirStream with the blower in the helmet is particulate only, using an in-helmet HEPA filter.

The 3M BreatheEasy, which long ago was a Racal AirStream model, has a belt mounted blower that can accept several cartridge styles... particulate, VOC (volatile organic compounds), chlorine, etc. That's one of the reason they are often used by first responders.
    Last edited by Alan Zenreich; 07-20-2013 at 9:41 AM.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

[QUOTE=Mike Goetzke;2133917]Jeff - just curious why you don't use the filtered mask for turning. (I thought this is one tool that generated lots of airborne dust)

Thanks,

Most of my turning is greenwood - generates more rain than dust. If I'm turning something dry - like some walnut that had been sitting for far too long before I get to it, I'll put on the AirShield to keep away from the dirt and dust. Generally I use the Uvex for face and eye protection when turning and the Trend for lung protection when sanding.

Thanks for the info guys. SWMBO got back into town last night, showed her the sale info and she said as much as your in the shop you need to get it. Love that woman!!! So, I ordered everything but the charger. Based on what was shared above, I decided to get a smart charger and build the charging unit myself.
    Stay healthy and keep on turnin'
    Steve

I have been looking for this sale and can not find it. Can you provide a link that shows the sale?
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp