Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record 4 1/2

Record 4 1/2

In my travels I can't say I've ever seen a Record 4 1/2 here in the states. I know they must exist but perhaps weren't imported in large numbers? Has anyone else seen them? I found a basically unused one today and snapped it up. I like english planes and that size in particular.
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose

There are a couple around here in South Africa and I am about to cut-up one to use as a diamond paste base.

Apparently the post WWII Record Planes are pretty decent as opposed to their Stanley counter parts. Certainly the frog seems to have more beef to it and more surface area but the sole is a wee bit smaller than the Stanley 4-1/2.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Blog Entries
    The 4-1/2 by any maker is an uncommon size.

I still reminisce fondly about the day mine was found in an antique shop in Astoria, OR with a tag marked $30.

How about some pictures?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm a big fan of Record planes and I have a few. Sole size should be exactly the same as the US Stanley planes of corresponding type (if they are pre-1960s vintage), difference being simply the variance in casting. Often times Record planes had rather thicker casting, whether it was intentional or simply a result of raw casting thickness and manufacturing process, I don't know, but size wise, they should be the same. Even screws are interchangeable with Stanley's odd thread.

I don't know if Record No.4 1/2 made into the US much, but they do pop up often in eBay UK, so they aren't exactly rare, only a bit less more common than No.4 perhaps.

Generally speaking, Record planes up to mid 1950s (around 1956) was the copy of US Stanley type 15. Only difference being cosmetic, like color, cast marking, markings on parts. Post WWII Record came with beech handles and knob, prior to that, was rosewood. Post mid 1950s Record began to incorporate ogee frog design much like post type 16 Stanley planes.

Record had a reputation for being somewhat decent until like couple of decades ago. While Record (after going through different owners) planes went through various cost cutting design, much like Stanley, it had somewhat decent reputation for quality unlike Stanley, though once they began incorporate plastic handles and all, it was sort of batched into "meh" category like the rest of plastic handled planes. It was still workable, however.

Sure, Ill post some pics shortly. Like Sam I really very much like Record products, much more than Stanleys. All of the Record 4 1/2s Ive seen lately were thru ebay UK. Like I said Ive cant recall even seeing one here though. Im just as glad I went home w/ it. Its my 3rd 4 1/2. Hey, its like saws, you can never have too many. Would also like to score a 5 1/2, another favorite of mine.
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose

My most favorite plane is the pre-war Record No.3 with rosewood handle and knob. Such a nice plane, appearance and quality wise.

I'm not big on collecting, but if I were to collect one plane, it would be Record Calvert Stevens CS88. Truly one of a kind!

photo.jpgphoto-1.jpg

I think this must be a newer model. IIRC my older ones have a decal on the tote and paint in the 'Record' logo on the lever cap. Also the tote seems cheapish. At any rate Im glad to have it.

Cant say as Ive ever seen one that old here. Im not a collector either...but I am a Record fan. I remember when the RCS planes were on the market here.

I see youre in Russia...never really thought about where tools there come from. Are there any Russia based hand tool mfgs?

There was at least one Russian company making clones of the Record 043 plough plane, they showed up on eBay quite frequently, or at least did (I haven't looked in a while)
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

I think your plane is from the 80s or early 90s. I can't be sure, but the 1990s introduced Record planes with plastic handle and knob, plus screw cap, but yours seems to be from prior to those changes.

During the Soviet era, Russia had this . With cool USSR lever cap and all.

Quote Originally Posted by jim goddard View Post
    photo.jpgphoto-1.jpgSweet looking plane!

I think this must be a newer model. IIRC my older ones have a decal on the tote and paint in the 'Record' logo on the lever cap. Also the tote seems cheapish. At any rate Im glad to have it.
    Sweet looking plane, sir!

If it's old, then it probably was made by Voskov, basically the only plane manufacturer from the Soviet time. During the Soviet era, household items were made at one or two locations for the whole country. Near our house, there's a gigantic factory complex that used to manufacture rubber boots for the whole Soviet Union. Now most of it is dilapidated, partly still functioning and making something, and inside of the complex used as paintball ground. Voskov planes were the same. Probably made at one massive factory for the whole Soviet Union, or at least for Russia, other than going for old wooden planes, your only choice was this grey cast and milled aluminum Voskov plane whether you were on Sakhalin island in the far east or Murmansk in the arctic circle.

13. Quote Originally Posted by jim goddard View Post
    In my travels I can't say I've ever seen a Record 4 1/2 here in the states. I know they must exist but perhaps weren't imported in large numbers? Has anyone else seen them? I found a basically unused one today and snapped it up. I like english planes and that size in particular.
    Here's my 4 1/2 with Hock iron and Clifton Stay-Set cap iron:

007.jpg008.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have one, but I think it's a later model as the frog is webbed as opposed to solid. It does have a wooden handle and tote, but as to performance, I'm not sure the solid frog style would do any better than mine does. Since I have #4 Stanley, I set it to take a ranker cut and leave the ultra smoothing to the Record. I also have a T5 which gives the same performance, but it too has the webbed frog.

Hi Charlie
    Very nice, thats an older one I think. Its much like my old 8c with the painted lever cap and 2 piece adjuster. Thanks for sharing that. How long have you had it and where did you get it?