Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record 4 1/2

I was thinking it was an 80s plane. It was the phase before they cheaped out completely and went out of business. Too bad b/c they made a really superior product.
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose

Here's one I had for a short time (before selling it). I got it for $4.00 at a garage sale. I found it a bit cheesy, especially in the finish department, though it was clearly a late-model plane.

DSCN0366.jpgDSCN0367.jpgDSCN0368.jpgDSCN0369.jpgDSCN0354.jpg

3. Quote Originally Posted by jim goddard View Post
    Hi Charlie
    Very nice, thats an older one I think. Its much like my old 8c with the painted lever cap and 2 piece adjuster. Thanks for sharing that. How long have you had it and where did you get it?
    I think it's probably from the 1980s. Got it on EBay about four years ago. I do have a Record 04 with the old frog and crucible cast cutter. It's a dream.

Hi Charlie
    Thats an older plane than mine I think, where/when did you get it?
    ...we could not handle the adze with half his skill:the improvement of tools had lowered the need for personal ability. W. Rose

Your copy is identical to mine. Ya, the wood isnt up to par and some of the metal parts scream cheap but I can fix (most of) that. Whoever owned it before me did a good job on the iron/cap iron. Its sharp and they fit perfectly at the business end.

Jim,

I like your plane (and Charlies!).
    I purchased this Record 4-1/2 recently and it was unused, probably from the 90's.

Stanley/Bailey made some planes in England and they were marked as such; aside from the obvious physical similarities, is there any corporate connection between those English-made Stanleys and Record planes?

I ask because there's a "Record" 05-1/2 currently offered on the popular internet auction site that's clearly marked Stanley on the lever cap and Bailey/Made in England on the plane body. Has me confused why it would be listed as a Record plane.

English Stanley/Bailey #4½ of same era as Record in Charlie Stanford's post not as nice, IMO—V-folded tab on lateral blade lever, and so on.
    Last edited by David Barnett; 07-21-2013 at 1:51 PM.
    διαίρει καὶ βασίλευε

I don't think Stanley in England had connection with Record, as Record was a brand name rather than the company name. If you want history of the companies behind "Record" brand, read here.

David, Sam,

Thanks for the follow up and information.

Frank
    I saw that too and was surprised. To my knowledge there was no connection. The example you pointed out is clearly marked bailey. I took it as a typo.

Jim,

You're no doubt correct that it's just a typo; if it's still for sale maybe I'll give the seller a heads up.

ABOUT THAT "USSR" PLANE? (A short aside)

Sam, something about the Soviet handplane in your post kept nagging at me today. If that plane was made for Soviet use, why would it be stamped "USSR"? That's English. I contacted a buddy of mine who speaks Russian. He said that the Russians use Cyrillic (greek?) characters and so it should read "CCCP", not "USSR". Any ideas?

Could they have had hopes of exporting this plane to Western countries? Or perhaps it was manufactured as a souvenir after the Soviet era? (Like many souvenir reproductions of Soviet military medals you can buy.)

You live over there and probably speak and write the language - what do you make of it?

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-06-2013 at 6:01 AM.