Thread: On line sources for Sq D boxes

On line sources for Sq D boxes

Have any of you found a decent place on line to order Square D breakers and distribution boxes? I'm real close to starting the electrical phase of my shop remodel, and want to see if on line ordering is the way to go money wise. I'm looking for a 200 amp main box, with 30/40 spaces. This will not be a sub panel, as the shop already has it's own service from the pole. Thanks for any help you can give me! Jim.

Jim,

I never had much luck on line for that kind of stuff and the places I did find were more geared to the pros who orders 100s of stuff at a shot. The online places just didn't seem tailored to the amatuer. Home Depot or your local electrician's shop is your best bet. Ebay may be a decent source, too. I bought a fair number of breakers and contactors and some smaller boxes through there.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

So far, I have only seen the Homelite series at HD. I'll keep looking, maybe different location. THANKS! Jim.

Jim;

The stores may not carry anything bigger then the 125 Amp Homelight series but you can order the bigger QO series one via the web site.
    here is the add from the site.
    When I have helped a few guys install these units and it should do the trick for you. The price isn't to bad either.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>QO
    200 Amp 40-Space Main Breaker Load Center
    Model 86766</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Load center is equipped with a one-piece shielded copper bus bar and a single captive screw to make installation quicker and easier. Cover included with load center. Ground bar kit sold separately.

Internet/Catalog # 162354
    Store SKU# 371044 <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=5>Price: $195.00/ea
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Honestly, I don't know why folks badmouth the Homelite series. I understand that the QD (or QC or whatever it is) is probably beefier but that doesn't mean the Homelite is poor stuff. Square D is Square D...they make good quality stuff.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris;
    One Major differance is the Homelight uses Aluminum Bus Bars and the CO series uses copper. Also the Homelight series is limited to 125 amps and Jim was looking for 200 Amps and 40 breakers.

I don't care for Alum. in any electrical circuits especially bus bars if I can avoid it. It has a tendency to loosen up espeially if it get a little warm. You also have to use bigger conductors when you use Alum. over copper.

*Bay has been very good to me for electricals. I have found both single phase and three phase boxes and breakers (new in box) at a fraction of "street prices". You may not find them right away, but regular searching pays off.

Jim is there a reason the panel has to be SQD, why not GE, i know HD here carries both and Ge was a little cheaper for 40 circuit with 200 amp main.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell
    Have any of you found a decent place on line to order Square D breakers and distribution boxes? I'm real close to starting the electrical phase of my shop remodel, and want to see if on line ordering is the way to go money wise. I'm looking for a 200 amp main box, with 30/40 spaces. This will not be a sub panel, as the shop already has it's own service from the pole. Thanks for any help you can give me! Jim.

Mike, I tried to buy a GE back in December from a HD that had moved and they were closing out a lot of items. I passed at 50% off, was back at 75% off the next morning, but it was already snatched up. $25.00 would have been a steal!! I should have pounced on it at $50.00. but they didn't have one open, and I wasn't sure what it was, or how easily the breakers would be to get for it. My mistake. The Squard D has been recommended by so many as being the top unit out there. I'm leary of anything with aluminum also. Don, I didn't know the Homelite series had aluminum. Thanks for the heads up.
    I'll keep looking. Thanks for the ebay idea. Bill. I had looked a little there a while back, but hadn't been diligent about it. I'll add that to my watch list when I turn the computer on at lunch.
    Thanks for the ideas, guys!! Jim.