Thread: Nova g3 insert question

Nova g3 insert question

I have a nova g3 with a 1x8 insert that I used on my old delta 46-111

I just bought a Jet 1221 which has reverse.

Is there a 1x8 insert with a set screw available or do I need to buy the g3 version for the delta midi.

I guess I could just not use reverse with the chuck for now but I'd like to utilize the feature for sanding.

Dan,

I should not admit to a bad habit, but I sand without setting the set screw on my chucks for most pieces. With the chuck firmly tightened, there has only been a couple of occasions when the chuck loosened, and I was able to shut off the lathe before the chuck came completely loose. Turning heavier pieces has caused the chuck to come loose when the power was sht off and the inertia of the heavy piece would then unscrew the chuck. I can't help you on insert with set screw.

Dan, for slow speed sanding, reversing without the set screw shouldn't be a problem, but you could email Teknatool to see if they have an insert with the set screw to fit your lathe (my guess is that they would).
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Drill & tap for a grub screw

It's pretty easy to drill and tap the insert for a grub screw. I prefer a 6mm size to match those in my 1 1/4 X 8 inserts. The 1 X 8 Nova inserts don't have a set (grub) screw, I suspect, because, until recently, mini/midi lathes couldn't turn in reverse. I use a #2 lead shot under the set screw to keep from marring the headstock spindle threads. Each pellet is a one-shot deal, but one shot shell has many pellets. See a friend who hunts for a supply.

from the Nova site:

NOVA INSERT X - 1"8 Dual threaded LH/RH reversible

Lathe Match (where known): Designed specifically for the NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe, features lock for the reverse function.

I would think this would work, but ask them. The regular RH thread unit that matches Delta does not say it features the lock. As Jim S said, drilling and tapping should not be hard.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have the G3. I originally bought it for my old Rikon midilathe with 1 x 8 threads. It did have a set screw. When I boiught the insert for my latest lathe (Nova 2024) with 1.25 X 8 threads, it too came equipped with a set screw. As above, I only reverse when sanding, which I do at 500 rpm, and never set the setscrew. Haven't had an issue yet. That said, if yours doesn't have one, drilling and tapping one to fit the hole in the G3 should be relatively easy and straight forward.

Good luck.

Another + for just adding a set screw to the hex in your existing insert.
    Probably no more than $6 for the tap, proper size drill bit, and set screw at any real hardware store.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks all. I think for now I'm just going to keep a close eye on it for the bit of slow reverse sanding ill do.

BTW... if you have a Sears Hardware near you (probably a larger Sears Department store would carry them too), you can get a tap and drill bit set for $12. Most of the hardware stores will sell similar sets for over $18 (forget Lowes or HD, they are ridiculously overpriced on these). Online prices are much lower still.