Thread: congratulations Alan Trout

congratulations Alan Trout

back of the front cover, two page extradinaire, in American Woodturner

i was able to inspect some of his turnings in tampa, very impressive in person

never did see him, but again congratulations
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 07-22-2013 at 5:05 PM.

Congrats to Alan. The photos are terrific and I know what you mean about the book "500 Wooden Bowls." One can spend a lot of time with that book. More than one would spend reading as many pages of written words.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Oh great! Now we won't get to talk to him because of all the groupies that will be swarming him for his picture! Great to see you get recognized for you cool pieces. See you in Waco.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Oh great! Now we won't get to talk to him because of all the groupies that will be swarming him for his picture! Great to see you get recognized for you cool pieces. See you in Waco.
    A few years ago I asked a famous woodturner (who I won't name without his permission) if there were many woodturning groupies. He had been telling me about having to do receptions at galleries in Los Angeles and Chicago. His reply was something like this, "oh yeah, there are a lot of woodturning groupies. The problem though, is that they're all old men."
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

After seeing his work in Minneapolis and having lunch with him I was an instant groupie.Good job Alan.
    Half way between the north pole and the equator!
    Half way between Steve Schlumpf and John Keeton!

Thanks guy's,

I have not seen it yet. I usually get my magazine about 2 week after everyone else. But I do look forward to getting it. I am honored to have the chance to be in the magazine.

A few years ago I asked a famous woodturner (who I won't name without his permission) if there were many woodturning groupies. He had been telling me about having to do receptions at galleries in Los Angeles and Chicago. His reply was something like this, "oh yeah, there are a lot of woodturning groupies. The problem though, is that they're all old men."
    This is funny but very true.

Big congrats Alan..I love your colorful work
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Alan... just got my copy today... it is worth the wait! Beautiful work - as always! Extremely happy to see you get the recognition!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

A nice recognition. Congratulations, Alan!

Great Job Alan! I loved your work the very first time I saw it and when I got to meet you in St. Paul, it was a way to put a voice to the man and to hear his thoughts first hand! To see the pieces in person always helps fit the puzzle pieces together with the artist and at lunch that day we all shared our thoughts and ideas on what we each had learned through trial and error. With you doing all the great resin castings, it helped so many with their own dreams of using resin to create added beauty out of what is mostly was just junk without the resin to make it whole.

Congrats again and continued sucess,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Congratulations Alan! Your work has been inspiring me for years. Great pictures in the AAW Journal. I am looking forward to what's next.

Marc

Just got my copy. Great stuff! Congratulations, Alan.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary