Thread: Reliable source for folded saw backs?

Reliable source for folded saw backs?

This is really a continuation of an old thread that I resurrected regarding folding brass backs for backsaw builds...

I know where I can buy slotted brass backs (and have done so with 100% satisfaction, but are there any good sources for folded brass backs? How about bronze, steel / stainless steel?

thx

Tools for Working Wood sells Grammercy saw kits. $120.00 for a blade and back,plan for handle. Might be a bit steep for a kit.

I've been searching for folded brass backs myself ever since Wenzloff lost his supplier. Got a couple from him a few years back and they were great and a real bargain price, but no luck finding another source. Hopefully someone out there knows of an outlet for them. Or is willing to go into the folded brass back business.
    Jamie Bacon

There is a seller on d bay I saw today that has a few backs listed. I don't know anything about him. Is anyone here familiar with his work? Not trying to promote anyone just curious.
    Good, Better, Best never let it rest
    until your Good is Better and your Better is Best

Member of M-WTCA Area D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kuzdrall View Post
    This is really a continuation of an old thread that I resurrected regarding folding brass backs for backsaw builds...

I know where I can buy slotted brass backs (and have done so with 100% satisfaction, but are there any good sources for folded brass backs? How about bronze, steel / stainless steel?

thx
    David,

Is the source for slotted brass backs still available?

I would like to know where one or two could be purchased.

tia,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I bought mine from Ron Bontz, at Bontz saw works. As far as I know they are still available.

I am the Ebay saw back lister...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Dorman View Post
    There is a seller on d bay I saw today that has a few backs listed. I don't know anything about him. Is anyone here familiar with his work? Not trying to promote anyone just curious.
    Hi Mark,

I am the lister of the brass saw backs on Ebay. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Today I will make some in stainless steel.Backsaw photos_Page_1.jpgBacksaw photos_Page_2.jpg

There is a seller on the other wood site at: wood**t.net that just listed some the other day. If this post breaks any rules please delete it.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    There is a seller on the other wood site at: wood**t.net that just listed some the other day. If this post breaks any rules please delete it.
    Isaac Smith - Blackburn Tools.

Great guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Steve