Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Diesel Engines

I have owned many many gas cars and trucks over the years. I started with diesel trucks in 2002- a GMC 2500hd that did everything and more that I asked of it, followed by a newer crew cab GMC when we outgrew the extra cab. I sold that and bought a 2011 Ford crew, decided I didn't need a new truck and payment, and sold it to buy a 2004 Chevy crew. I have also since 2008 or so been driving VW diesels- a 1995, and a 1997 after someone wrecked my 95. When I got rid of the Ford truck, I sold the 97, and bought a 2013 VW Jetta TDI manual tranny. I say all this because in all those years and over the 4-500,000 miles I've put on these vehicles, I believe and have found them to be more reliable and easier maintenance wise than the gasses I used to drive. The maintenance on a TRUCK can be more costly at every oil change, and filters are a little more- if you know where to shop to get good quality AND good prices.
    The maintenance on the cars CAN be less than the gas counterpart. Generally same amount of oil as gas.
    Two huge differences are: 1. If you can drive a little conservatively, you can really, really beat the EPA window sticker mpg.
    My Jetta is getting 46 mpg lifetime mpg at 12,000 miles so far- estimates were 34-36mpg city, and 41mpg highway!
    2. The power is in a much more useful area- 1200 rpm- 2300 rpm. I see no sense in wringing the heck out of an engine, and am quite tired of the gas method of having to mash the right pedal to the floor while it kicks the heck out of the auto tranny to get things done.

I can never see going to gas again as long as there is a diesel option.

Diesels currently run cleaner than gas engines, but most people don't know this.

You really should test drive a diesel, and get it on a twisting up and down road, and see if you don't like the performance better than a gasser.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-19-2013 at 8:52 AM.

Check out Freds TDI page. They are VW centric but have a section for other brands. Good honest people like at the Creek. Talk to the srevice guy and find out what oil you will need and what it cost. You mentioned the BMW service plan but it will be an issue if you keep the car past it.

If the people at Freds can't answer your questions they will be able to point you toward someone that can.

Sure miss my TDI wagon with a 5 speed.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

That is an interesting site, Charles. I just glanced through it for several minutes and read a whole thread on a guy who just took delivery of a 2014 535d X-drive BMW. I really hope BMW reinstates the ECO Credit as that will make it a slam dunk to get the d over the i.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Diesel was the preferred option, but with the new regulations on diesels, they have just about destroyed the benefits. Diesel's major benefit is that they would have lasted hundreds of thousands more than the gasoline engines before major overhaul is required. Odometer readings of 500K for diesel are very common whereas a gasoline engine with over 200k is nearly a miracle.

I have two vehicles with diesel and three gassers, and prefer the diesels in all respects. But the jury is still out on the new vehicles, so I, if in the market, would look for an older model of an upscale make to obtain better design and accoutrements, and have a reasonable account ready for any immediate repair. Diesels give one the satisfaction that it is strong...and the only downside is that more than often, you will get your shoes filthy while filling it at the local truckstop. You will want to avoid the Mom and Pop stations...you want fresh fuel without water, which is more probable from high volume dealers.