Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding to the embellishment arsenal

Adding to the embellishment arsenal

I have been thinking about some carving for some time............did not want to spend a fortune and this tool does both rotary and reciprocating styles and has a flex shaft..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger: I bought one about 18 months ago - for the same reasons. It has worked well and is getting me into carving and embellishing more and more. I'm sure I'll outgrow it after a while, but for now it does a good job. I'm in no hurry - just learning as I go.

Getting into the carving thing now? Trying it out on a few turnings? Oh, my. I see another vortex taking shape here, only reason I can say that is been there still doing that! Well, love carving, just haven't added much of that to the turnings, but was doing lots more carving before I got into the turning vortex. Oh my...ya gonna need a few knives, a few carving chisels to go with that Roger...and deeper and deeper it goes! Love it!

I love my Wecheer, enough that I bought the hanging motor unit with the flex shaft. Then when Woodcraft put the Wecheer mini motor on sale I bought that also. Amazing what the reciprocating handle is capable of doing.

Roger, I've been thinking about the same thing since the AAW Symposium. My main reason for delay is that I don't know a thing about them. Mark Gardner did a demo and he recommended an Automach at $300 but that seems a lot to me since I don't know if I'll use it much. Where did you get yours and have you tried it out yet?
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Quote Originally Posted by BILL DONAHUE View Post
    Roger, I've been thinking about the same thing since the AAW Symposium. My main reason for delay is that I don't know a thing about them. Mark Gardner did a demo and he recommended an Automach at $300 but that seems a lot to me since I don't know if I'll use it much. Where did you get yours and have you tried it out yet?

Bill.....the wife & I are on the road for our 38th anniversary.........got this @ WoodCraft.....about $160 but they have 10% off right now on power tools........so about $144 + tax. I did take it out of the box at WC and cut a couple of grooves into a piece of 2x4 with the carving handle........cool!!!

When I get it home, and try it out for good, and for some reason should I not like it, I can return for full refund.

Sent from my Ipad......
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-25-2013 at 8:25 AM.

One thing........WC had bigger units......all can hang including this one I got, but they have units similar to the Fordham, and another bigger unit for $310 that is styled like this one, only it is just a reciprocating unit and does not do rotary with mill bits........this seemed to be the best for me, as I can do both with it.

According to the literature that came with this unit, it says it should give me many years of trouble free service if properly used and maintained.........

WeCheer was recommended to me on this or another forum about a month or so ago......I forget by whom

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughan View Post
    Getting into the carving thing now? Trying it out on a few turnings? Oh, my. I see another vortex taking shape here, only reason I can say that is been there still doing that! Well, love carving, just haven't added much of that to the turnings, but was doing lots more carving before I got into the turning vortex. Oh my...ya gonna need a few knives, a few carving chisels to go with that Roger...and deeper and deeper it goes! Love it!
    Steve......sounds like you could give me a few lessons! This unit came with 5 knives.......and 7 rotary cutters......that should at least get me started......don't ya think?

Roger, I've had this same unit for 4 years, does a pretty good job. When piercing, you don't want to try anything too thick, I usually drill holes and then elongate them. The only problem I've had is the retainer that hold the rotary tool to the shaft has broken. It seems to involve a ball and spring, but I didn't pay enough attention to it before it broke to see how it is supposed to work. I've stopped by Woodcraft a couple times, but they have been out of stock.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

The handpieces are interchangeable, I have several handpieces including the reciprocal unit and they all work off of the lager hanging motor unit. I can switch hand units and use burrs, or carving chisels. I started out with a Dremel and a reciprocal carving handpiece from Treeline Woodcarvng, and upgraded to my Wecheer units.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    The handpieces are interchangeable, I have several handpieces including the reciprocal unit and they all work off of the lager hanging motor unit. I can switch hand units and use burrs, or carving chisels. I started out with a Dremel and a reciprocal carving handpiece from Treeline Woodcarvng, and upgraded to my Wecheer units.
    I am looking forward to using my unit when I get home. Just from what it looks like......the ball mills and other bits that fit a dremel look like they would interchange with this WeCheer unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Bill.....the wife & I are on the road for our 38th anniversary

When I get it home, and try it out for good, and for some reason should I not like it, I can return for full refund.

Sent from my Ipad......
    Have you had a chance to try it Roger or are you still on the Road?
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    Have you had a chance to try it Roger or are you still on the Road?

I am back at home........after another trip for a funeral [death in the family] and the day I got home from our road trip to Gatlinburg, I went out to the shop and tried it on a piece of red oak board........just drew a few lines in the shape of leaves and tried out the different cutters.....what shapes I could make with them, etc.

I know almost nothing about carving, but was able to make a fairly decent carving for a novice, IMO. On the funeral trip I stopped by WoodCraft, and picked up some flexcut blades for the thing.......I read an opinion from another vendor who sells the unit I purchased, and it was his opinion that the flexcut blades were better and would stay sharp longer, and I purchased a strop hone to assist with sharpening......it comes with the compound and supposedly really hones the edge to razor sharp.

I do like the Wecheer unit.........I also got several milling bits ......flame shape, round, etc, .......these are metal [carbide or hhs] for using it in the rotary carving........looking forward to the time when I can have a few days to work on a project.........I am thinking a fluted hollow form in the Jordan-esque style, perhaps?!

one note of warning.........I do think this area of woodworking could turn into its own vortex.......but not as expensive as turning......thankfully!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-02-2013 at 1:22 PM.

When you start using the burrs, get a pair of leather gloves. The burr will get away from you, not if but when it does, the burr will eat leather instead of skin. DO NOT USE COTTON gloves, the burr will grab the cotton and not let go, it can break the shaft in the flex shaft unit.

Thanks for the reply Roger, I've been holding off ordering one, until I heard how you liked/disliked. I had read that the cutters that come with it do not last long, before needing sharpening.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.