Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Veritas or Lie Nielson Router plane?

I find the small router planes generally too small to be useful. Just not enough registration area. I have the LV, and it does get used, but rarely. A more useful size is the router plane I rcently posted here in upgraded form. This is nearly the same registration across its width as the Large LV Router plane, but roughly 2/3 the depth and is low profile. While the Large LV is by far the better tool, I find that I often grab my litttle one.

This uses all the blades from the Large.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...uterPlane.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    In my opinion, neither the LV nor the LN small router planes are good. I owned the LN small router plane and I couldn't lock the blade tight enough without using a screwdriver on it.

Additionally, trying to adjust the height of the blade in small increments is very difficult.

The really small (miniature) LV plane is the best design, but is too small for most use. The blade locks tight and there's a screw adjustment for the blade height so you can make small adjustments when routing out a hinge mortise.

And a (good) small router plane is needed because sometime you have a hinge mortise that is in a tight spot and you just can't get the big router plane in.

Message to Rob Lee - scale up the miniature router plane and give us a small router plane that's usable.

Mike
    I just took a bit of sandpaper to the round post on the blade of the small LV Router and roughed it up a bit and BAM!!! No more twisting... Works great! Nothing a little bit of fettling can't fix.

You are right though, that the micro plane is a pretty sweet little unit!

OP has most likely already made his purchase, but you can usually pick up a Stanley (or some other vintage) RP pretty cheep at a flea market or that online site and make your own sub base and fence. Before I made the fence here I was using a square smooth stick and C clamps. After reading Derek's comment I'm thinking of adding a small bump on the sub base either side of the plane.

resized2.jpg
    IMG_20130728_134325_032.jpg
    Last edited by Judson Green; 08-16-2013 at 12:19 AM.

I had both and kept the LN. I liked the wider base of the LN. But, I will say the LV felt heavier, better made.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    OP has most likely already made his purchase, but you can usually pick up a Stanley (or some other vintage) RP pretty cheep at a flea market or that online site and make your own sub base and fence. Before I made the fence here I was using a square smooth stick and C clamps. After reading Derek's comment I'm thinking of adding a small bump on the sub base either side of the plane.

resized2.jpg
    IMG_20130728_134325_032.jpg
    I have already bought the veritas,but I am really into vintage tools and think a vintage stanley would be great.