Thread: Refinishing a problem window with polyshades.

Refinishing a problem window with polyshades.

Polyshades is a Urethane Stain finish. I had read some negative reviews of Polyshades. Oddly enough a friend had given me a new quart of cherry Polyshades that sat in the cabinet. My problem was to refinish a 16 year-old divided lite window that had some rust stains under the hardware. It had been previously stained and finished with a two-part catalized lacquer.

[/VIDEO]
    I sanded off the finish but the rust stain had soaked in. In addition, the pine remained and some of the previous sealer as well. I sealed it with Smith's epoxy sealer and restained it but the stain came out quite irregular.

[IMG][/IMG]

I sanded it lightly and reapplied a light coat of stain. Then I thought about the Polyshades. Using my HVLP Gun I applied the Polyshades. By building up the light places I was able to darken the light spots. Finally, I applied another two coats of satin urethane finish.

I was not able to completely cover the rust stain but most of it is covered by the hardware. This changed my view of Polyshades. Applied with the gun I had a lot of control.

Jim

That sure does look nice. When you run into those types of stains again try bleaching them out with oxalic acid, often the major component of deck brightener products.

John

Nice work using the PolyShades as a toner of sorts. Thats about all its good for in my opinion. The stuff is a nightmare to work with if your brushing unless your going for an HGTV look (which means only looks good on TV from a distance).

As I was reading your thread I kept thinking "I hope he sprayed it". Scrolling down looked better and better.

Again, nice work, and +1 on the oxalic acid, it would have helped you minimize the stains. Are these sash in a place where the windows sweat a lot? Thats generally when you have that problem. Good to try an remedy the sweating as it will just wreak havoc for the life of the building.

This is the only problem window. It is an aluminum clad window (Marvin). It is using insulated glass. It is not leaking at the top. The only thing I can think happened was the sash actually leaked water from the outside. It only occurred in one window. The window next to it was fine. I think I am going to use small beads of caulking on the outside. I agree about the HGTV look. It probably even looked better with low definition TV

You are right about brushing. I do it as little as possible.

John. I will try the oxalic acid next time.

They are all true.

Quinn