Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First bowl

Go, go, go, go, go!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

2. Yep.........above average for a first bowl.........above average for a first lathe, perhaps ? [3520b]...........I would say you have some definite wood working experience before this first bowl...........nicely done, at any rate........now to get it reversed and turn the bottom and finish this.....looking forward to the finished bowl!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If a year of watching turning on YouTube is experience, then I have a years worth. Reversed it, put it on a jam chuck and finished the bottom today. Sanded it and put the first coat of finish on it tonight. Tomorrow sanding the finish and applying more finish. Will post photos as soon as I complete it. Thanks.

Thomas, I put first coat of finish on the bowl tonight. Forgot to sign it, Can I sign it with something between coats?

Joe, I don't mean to be crass, but no, watching videos and YouTube does NOT constitute experience. Research, maybe. Learning, maybe. But NOT experience. NOTHING will prepare you for a catch, NOTHING will make you realize just what causes a catch, and NOTHING will teach you what NOT to do like actually turning.

I can say that I've been watching NASCAR intently for 20 years, with in depth interviews, behind the scenes commentaries, and video instruction. But that does not give me any experience as a NASCAR driver.

Again, I'm not jumping down your throat. I'm not ridiculing you. Rather, addressing your comment. After all, you may have made that comment in jest, but I know some who do not. Just because one reads about turning, watches videos on turning, and talks about turning, does not make that person a turner, nor does it give them any clout.

Joe, keep up the good work. You have done your research and are applying it. We all learn differently. You are off to a great start. I said it in my earlier post, but the shape of the bowl is really nice. And you seemed to have made the walls fairly thin...both things that usually elude beginners. And I'm no exception.

I DO look forward to seeing the final product as this bowl has a lot of potential. Remember to sign it, date it, and put what kind of wood it is. This is your first, you'll have it forever!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Depends what you finished it with, but likely yes. Also, don't forget to put the date (year at least) and the kind of wood. You might want to put that it is your first bowl (maybe with a #1, or 01, or something like that). For selling purposes, you don't need to do it, but since it is your first...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looks great Joe! You've got a very nice shape and I look forward to seeing it completed.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Just in jest.

Glad to hear you say that, Joe. Like I said, some do not feel/say that in "jest"...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Awesome first bowl. Well done.

Here is the photo of the first bowl 7 1/4" x 2 1/2" high. Don't know what kind of wood it is, can someone id it for me? Today I turned a Cherry Burl finished size 5 1/4" x 1 1/2" no finish yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My guess would be maple on the 1st one, but that's just a guess. The 2nd one looks great and the burl grain should really pop once you've got some finish on it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Looks good, Joe. Of course, more detailed pics would give us a better idea, though... Sorry, no idea about the wood. The cherry burl looks beautiful.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Looking good Joe. Looks like you are having fun too!

First bowl generally says you have a gouge and a piece of wood (lathe is inferred) buy no sense of form. In this case I will say you have a great sense of form and the future looks fantastic. The bowl has rounded sides, reasonable thickness (you will pick up that the purpose of use will dictate the wall thickness and height. Looks good, no, great, now go turn some more and even donate some to the local Empty Bowls charity.
    Steve Worcester

TURNINGWOOD