Thread: Took it apart.

Took it apart.

Didn't think I was going to but it was just too heavy even with the motor out to make refinishing the cabinet anything but a wresting match. I know who would have won that. It was born in 86 and I have 40 years on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Hope you took pics to put it back together again when your done

Don't be alarmed, but I think your Unisaw just threw up.

this would be a perfect time to paint the stand IF IT need new paint

A Unisaw is pretty darned simple - should be no problems reassembling it. The guy(s) who designed it was a genius in my book. Should the OP run into any problems, however, there are plenty of drawings and tutorials on putting one back together, over at OWWM.org, and other places.

John

Here's the opportunity to find the extra parts they included.

Didn't take pictures as I was aware of the wealth of info online. Also did not dissemble all the small stuff before lifting it out of the cabinet on a handy dandy chain lift I've had for years. Didn't come with a stand other than the black base at the bottom. Is that what you're refering to or a mobile base? I do plan on repainting the cabinet. Now that its all out I may go ahead and replace the bearings. I never find the extra included part until I start reassembly of an item. I know that's what you meant Jim.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 07-28-2013 at 3:09 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Is that what you're refering to or a mobile base?
    Either way, a mobile base is NEVER a bad idea.

Nothing gets rebuilt without being torn apart. Go for it and spare no expense!

Neck hurts, must.....turn.....camera .

It looks to be in pretty good shape to me. You're gonna have a brand new saw soon.

Rick Potter

Getting the trunions back inside the cabinet is the hardest part, and that's just a matter of figuring out the assembly sequence.

Depending on if/what you are going to do for DC, you might want to fabricate a floor. I just traced the bottom of the cabinet on a piece of sheet metal and cut that out, then sandwiched it between the plinth and cabinet. And of course while its apart spend the money to replace the bearings and belts. If you're near a bearing supplier like Applied Industrial Technologies, the parts are pretty inexpensive.

Good for you .. Nothing like taking something apart to fully understand how it works. Been doing that since I was a little kid.. Heck as an adult I started trying to put stuff back together again too ! ..