Thread: First Survivor

First Survivor

It's not fair to call this my first bowl. There were others who came before it, but this is the first one that didn't shatter, go airborne when the dovetail broke, or end up with a bottom so thin you could poke your finger through it. This one ain't perfect, but it's a survivor!

IMG_1057.jpgIMG_1059.jpgIMG_1056.jpgIMG_1060.jpg

Made from a scrap of 8/4 hard maple from my cutoff bin. Sanded to 400 and one coat of Watco natural when these were taken.

Oddly enough, even the bowls that didn't survive were so much fun I could hardly stand it!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Looks great to me. Nice job!

Very nice Dan,
    looks great

very nice, enjoy

So this is your first 'keeper!' Ain't nuttin' wrong with that...ya just gotta go back and put the finish date on the bottom. Don't give it away, ya gotta hang onto that first one. Heck, maybe even hang onto a couple of those that didn't make that final cut. It'll be great to look back on in a few years and see how far you've gone!

Pretty little bowl regardless if it's your 1st survivor or your 101st..... Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A lot to praise here, the form has great lines, and you did an equally good job of tool control to avoid tool marks. Turning vessels is great fun, playing with different forms and learning to deal with uncooperative wood in face grain orientation all make for a great time!
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Great job Dan! That's a great 1st bowl and it sounds like the vortex has you firmly in it's grasp!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    Great job Dan! That's a great 1st bowl and it sounds like the vortex has you firmly in it's grasp!
    Yes, that addiction-prone gene I got from my father has finally been activated... but at least it's a non-harmful addiction (as long as I stay out of the line of fire).

Now I've been seized by an unreasonable interest in segmented turning. Was that a cash register I just heard?

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Way to go Dan!

Nice looking bowl Dan.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

It sure looks like #1 to me. I remember a club member doing a show and tell once - he held up a piece and said that it was his #1, but really #7. The first 6 were scattered around the shop and did not make it to finish. That one looks good and now you got something to compare future work.

Looks better than my dog-dish of a #1. I envy you a scrap cutt-off pile that could yield a nice bowl.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Great first survivor bowl. Many more to come I am sure.