Thread: Woodworking Rasps

Blog Entries

Woodworking Rasps

About to build a stool and will use woodworking rasps to help shape part of the top. I have a few metal files but I am guessing they are not totally suitable for WW. What rasps for starters would you recommend getting? And your favorite source for such. I have a Rockler and Woodcraft nearby, and of course there is internet.

Thanks all,

Tim

Depends on the user and the quality of rasp you seek. I have 3 made by Auriou and 3 made by Loggier. French rasps are regarded as very good..

The Nicholson #49 and 50 are good reasonably priced beginning rasps. Lee Valley carries them but you can probably find them less expensive elsewhere.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

"... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Micro Plane. Amazon has them for cheap. Not as good, but at 13 bucks, you buy 4 of them and be set for quite a long time. They also come is various sizes/shapes, so you could get a variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The Nicholson #49 and 50 are good reasonably priced beginning rasps. Lee Valley carries them but you can probably find them less expensive elsewhere.

Mike
    I've got these also, and a round one.

Blog Entries
    I had to go check as although I use them alot, I acquired them one at a time over a spell. I have a Shinto which is surprisingly useful, a Nicholson #50, a Mercer medium half-round which is about like a Nicholson #49, a Half-round milled tooth from Lee Valley, and a Nicholson round. Once I go finer than that I have some older Simonds files that were Grandpa's. If I could only keep two it would be the Shinto and the #50. I use them for things like a Maloof-ish table but, they are handy for many other tasks too.

ae-Ped-Tbl-Post-tenons 013.jpg . at-Ped-Tbl-base-side-view.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-29-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Depends on the user and the quality of rasp you seek. I have 3 made by Auriou and 3 made by Loggier. French rasps are regarded as very good..
    i agree
    the Auriou really are the best hand made rasps in the world IMHO .

jack'
    English machines

I just bought my first Auriou rasp. After using it a couple of times on a project, I can't wait to by a second. I ordered from Lie-Nielsen.

Good luck!
    -Chris

I have some Liogier, excellent hand stitched French rasps.
    Here is a good artricle on rasps

http://www.toolreviews.ca/tool_guide/rasps/rasps.html

Kim

I have a couple of the Gramercy rasps that I picked up at Handworks and could not be happier. And hey... They are MADE IN AMERICA!!!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    Bit the bullet and bought two Auriou Albi(double sided) rasps today. Thanks all for input.

I have Nicholson, Auriou, and Gramercy rasps. The Gramercy rasp is my favorite. I like the smaller size and cheaper price vs. the Auriou. Gramercy rasps are made in Pakistan, not USA.

Craig

The Auriou are exceptional but I would not call them better than the Loggier. Loggier make " extreme duty " rasps with weird coatings on them.. but I am comparing Rolls Royce and Bentley..

I have 3 of the Loggiers.. used them against the Auriou.. Nothing really to report.. they are equals IMO.. If I where to buy more, I would buy Loggier because I can spec exactly what I want .. otherwise I would gladly own another Auriou ..

The Auriou are on the bottom..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 07-31-2013 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig White View Post
    I have Nicholson, Auriou, and Gramercy rasps. The Gramercy rasp is my favorite. I like the smaller size and cheaper price vs. the Auriou. Gramercy rasps are made in Pakistan, not USA.

Craig
    Oops, You are absolutely right. The handles, however ARE made here in the good ole USA at least. I knew there was American made in there somewhere...
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty