Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The search is over - finally found it

The search is over - finally found it

Hi All,

Been more than three years of watching and checking Craigslist (at least three times per day)... but I finally scored my final lathe. I've been close before, our club president beat me to the punch on a Vicmarc VL300, you suck Jason but this time I got what I was wanting. I've had a few lathes before - a Craftsman non tube lathe (that was actually pretty nice), two Jet 1014s, a new Delta 46-460 and just a couple weeks ago bought another 46-460 off CL (deal was too good to pass on).

Anyway, on to my newest score - my final lathe. A vintage PM3520B. This thing is sweet!!! Appears to be barely used... previous owner was a hobbyist who bought good stuff but didn't seem to use it much. Anyway, included were a couple steadys (Oneway bowl and Oneway Spindle), three chucks (Talon, Oneway tommy bar style, and a PSI Barracuda 4 set - only the stock jaws had been removed from the plastic bag... the others are still wrapped up). All the stock PM accessories are there as well as a curved PM rest, a Sorby Steb center and a steb center for the chuck, and the PM remote switch. I feel I got a heck of a deal even though I took a risk on sending paypal funds in advance to hold the lathe until I could pick it up a week later.

Lathe is on my trailer until I can move it into the new house in a couple months... a LONG couple months until I fire this thing up!

Three lathes in the shop are probably too many so I will put the Deltas on CL... also going to eventually sell all 7 of my chucks and go to one brand (all 7 are different and I am not interested in hunting for the right key or jaw set for each chuck). Probably going to follow Mike and switch over to HTC or something - I can now justify the big body chucks! Oh yeah... now I need a coring rig, a new hollowing base, etc. the vortex is amazingly deep.

Had to share my excitement!

Jon
    image.jpgimage.jpg

Congratulations! May it serve you well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

congratulations, enjoy, it looks lightly used

Whatever you do, don't think about the lathe for two months-Yeah, right!! Congratulations and welcome to the Mustard Club!

I must be getting old. Vintage 3520B? You will have a lot of fun with it.

robo hippy

6. I hope you found the legs for that thing! Great score.......congratulations!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I must be getting old. Vintage 3520B? You will have a lot of fun with it.

robo hippy
    I call it vintage since it has the old Powermatic logo. I did not check to see if there was a manufacturing date on it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I hope you found the legs for that thing! Great score.......congratulations!!!
    Oh yeah, I have the legs for it. They are under a tool holder that I got as well. I had to take it apart to get it home... the bed was heavier than I expected but the rest was not too bad - including the headstock (I dead lifted that thing with no problem).

It's a bit of a long story which I won't go into but I wish you had gotten the Vicmarc instead of me.

Congrats.

Congratulations on a nice lathe and a bunch of accessories. I don't think I could let it sit on the trailer for two months. Is the cord in the second picture a remote stop?
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Clark2 View Post
    It's a bit of a long story which I won't go into but I wish you had gotten the Vicmarc instead of me.

Congrats.
    Sorry to hear that all is not well on that one. If I hadn't picked up the PM I would have been interested in taking it of your hands. I have to say I am happy though getting the PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    Congratulations on a nice lathe and a bunch of accessories. I don't think I could let it sit on the trailer for two months. Is the cord in the second picture a remote stop?
    Hi Fred - thanks and yes, it has the remote stop (magnetic box for the switch can be seen on the headstock next to the hand wheel). The cord is pretty long so I can position it anywhere.

Jon, you have a lot of "stuff' there. It i$ a great gloat.... how gloaty wa$ it ? any hint will do.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    Jon, you have a lot of "stuff' there. It i$ a great gloat.... how gloaty wa$ it ? any hint will do.....
    Hi Fred - does $2400 count as a gloat? I was happy with the price.

Yup. That's pretty gloaty!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Jon, that is a great set up, and the price is fantastic. YUP, most definitely a gloat!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.