Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV Perfect Handle style chisels

LV Perfect Handle style chisels

I looked to see if someone has already pointed this out and didn't see anything, but I'm sorry if I missed something. A week or two ago (maybe a little longer) there was a thread about the old H.D. Smith "Perfect Handle" design. I just noticed that Rob has a set of perfect handle-style chisels shown in on the new woodworking products page.
    Michael Ray Smith

The first thing that strikes me is the blades being 440 stainless steel. I've no really knowledge of this sort of thing, it only strikes me as interesting because I don't think I've seen that choice in a chisel blade material. Don't expect LV to pick something horribly unsuited for the purpose of the tool, but no idea what that choice of material means in practice.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    If you look at the hardness specs between these and their Veritas bench chisels you will see these may be a bit on the soft side.

Stainless steels do not seem to take an edge or retain it as well as carbon steel or the newer tool steels.

Most likely these would be fine for someone doing construction where a chisel comes in handy at times and it will be hit with a hammer.

My recollection is that is why some mechanics used to like the Perfect Handle screwdrivers for rusted screws.

One of my seldom used chisels is a Crescent brand all steel chisel. It was marketing was directed toward plumbers, electricians and others in the construction trades.

Crescent Chisel.jpg

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-31-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Frankly,I don't know what to think of 440 stainless being used for chisel blades. It is also called surgical stainless. 440 means only .40 carbon. The hardness is made up for by other alloys. I don't know how wear resistant it is. I'm guessing that Veritas has tested the metal for durability as a chisel steel. These products cost a great deal of money to develop. I'm sure they aren't gambling on the use of 440.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-01-2013 at 8:55 AM.

There are several 440 varieties. 440C is either what is used in friodur products or nearly identical to it, and 440C itself is good stuff. Maybe not ideal for tools, but passable. (440A/B varieties may even be passable since they are between 0.7 or so and 0.9 carbon.)

hose are import chisels where a plethorea of more common chrome manganese or chrome vandadium type steels or various knife-making stainless steels (like 440 or equivalents) will be cheaper than diemaking steels (O1, A2, D2), probably thus the choice.

If they are 440C, I wouldn't worry too much about it. And maybe not even worry about it of they are A/B as LV doesn't just get something off of alibaba and put it in their lineup. I'm sure they've tried them out.

Credit knowing what 440C is only because of wondering how friodur could make a stainless razor that actually shaves well.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 07-31-2013 at 1:27 PM.

Jim,

I have an all steel Stanley chisel I got from my deceased father. Chisel is probably 50+ years old and takes & holds an edge like you wouldn't believe. It is my "rough but not scraping concrete" chisel. It was also marketed as for "electricians, plumbers and other similar rough work".
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Since I do electrical and plumbing work as pat of my job, this might be just the ticket to get me to send money north to Rob.

They are made by Chestnut Tools, the same company that makes those very nice parallel slot screw drivers. Most of their gadgets are fine even if some are manufactured in China. The very cool Sidewinder pliers come to mind.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Didn't realize that, even though it's on right on the box in the picture. The Chestnut Tools website has a link to all the tools they offer through LV, and there's a handful of neat ones in there I missed in the past.

I wonder if this is Lee Valley's new take on the "Utilitas" line they had a while back when they re-released the striking knife; a line for their tools that aren't necessarily made domestically or for some reason don't quite warrant the "Veritas" label. A WHOIS lookup shows a Lee Valley email address in the registration, and an IP lookup returns LV as well.

Ah - never mind - just before posting, I came across this article from Acreage Life - looks like Chestnut Tools is Leonard Lee. Neat!
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    (snip)
    Ah - never mind - just before posting, I came across this article from Acreage Life - looks like Chestnut Tools is Leonard Lee. Neat!
    You've got it.... Chestnut is Dad's tool "skunkworks" in Almonte Ont.

Cheers -

Rob

Some neat stuff. With some overtime coming up, I'm trying to find a way to justify the nice screwdrivers from Chestnut given that I've got some of the Grace ones already. My wife is thinking the shoe stretcher might be handy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    You've got it.... Chestnut is Dad's tool "skunkworks" in Almonte Ont.
    Cheers - Rob
    I love this site.
    I love Rob's attitude -
    even if he is a Sens fan...

It could be worse... he could be a Leafs fan! Nah, too much evidence that he's smart, level-headed and reasonably immune to marketing hype.

Damn fine article and the most sobering part is the second last paragraph.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Looks like clever marketing.