Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LV Perfect Handle style chisels

Blog Entries
    440 still gets used by some serious knife makers, who are not afraid to by pass the newer powdered steels. I believe that under the care of persons who know how to properly treat this steel at least good results can be had. I have a knife or two from a decade or two ago when a few of the top knife makers swore by their 440 knives in terms of hardness and toughness. Like so many things regarding steel for tools, the material used at the start of the manufacturing process may not resemble the final product much. I don't think I would just disregard a tool made from 440 steel, nor would I put all my trust in a rockwell rating as there may be many factors that may change any given steel for specific purposes.

Indeed,Rockwell reading is not everything. There are also toughness,abrasion resistance,and other factors that have influences on a steel's performance.

I haven't ever seen anyone complain about the quality of Solingen made friodur products (knives or razors).

As far as the perfect handle chisels, I think anyone expecting the set to perform like a single VII chisel that costs the same amount will probably be unpleasantly surprised. Anyone who wants to just sharpen them and use them and sharpen them again when they get dull without worrying about whether or not they match vintage laminated chisels, or modern powder steel or japanese chisels will probably not be unpleasantly surprised.

440 at 59 hardness definitely will not sharpen like 59 hardness carbon steel, though, but.....they're attactive chisels for $69. Not a lot to complain about if you like to buy attractive tools. They ought to be tough, even if a bit heavy.

Buck Knives used 440C Stainless steel for their knives from the early 1960s through the 1970s. They seem to hold an edge well.

I have a set of the all-steel Stanley chisels. They are quite elegant and easy to hold. I am not sure why I don't use them more. Maybe because I have a set of Narex hardened steel chisels mounted in easy reach.