Thread: plane maker?

plane maker?

Does anyone recognizes the maker?

shaw art 017.jpg

jack
    English machines

No, but that's a bizarre looking plane. What is it? French? Are the sides on it metal or wood?

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    No, but that's a bizarre looking plane. What is it? French? Are the sides on it metal or wood?

Its an infill plane. the angle is OD on the iron and open to the side as you see. Found in Ontario Canada and i though it may be British?

jack
    English machines

Probably a 1 off. English late 19th.C. style handle (I think he took an old handle off an English plane,the handle looks older than the rest of the plane,especially older than the wedge),18th.C. style wedge (It looks like it was bandsaw cut) ,German style sneck on the iron. I have not yet seen a plane with the angle on the sole that matches the angle of the iron's bevel. That bevel had better remain constant! I think it was an attempt to support the blade all the way down to the cutting edge. I think in reality,that would be very iffy to pull off. The little angle of the sole would have to touch the blade's bevel exactly when the cutting depth of the iron was reached.

I'd like to see some overall pictures of the whole plane.P.S.: I think the name is an owner's mark from the old donor plane's owner.
    Last edited by george wilson; 08-01-2013 at 9:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I'd like to see some overall pictures of the whole plane.
    ditto!....

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The little angle of the sole would have to touch the blade's bevel exactly when the cutting depth of the iron was reached.
    So basically, it's a plane that only allows one specific bevel angle and cutting depth to work properly? Seems like one of those "good ideas" I always have when I need to go to bed.

P.S.: The name on the handle would be an owner's name from the borrowed handle.