Thread: HF Reciprocating saw

Blog Entries

HF Reciprocating saw

Harbor freight has their variable speed riciprocating saw on sale for 19.99. Now, I know that this thing is not a PC tigersaw or a sawzall, but it's only 20 bucks too. I really don't have a lot of use for a riciprocating saw, but I need one for a couple of things I have right now. Does anyone have one of these? If so, how do you like it?

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Come on Larry!!!

You already know the answer to this one.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I haven't seen this Saw before, but I have looked at their drills and such. They aren't much but if you are only going to use it a few times, it will probably get the job done. The do have a warranty on them, so if it craps out, you can take it back.

A recip saw isn't a "fine" peice of equipment anyway, so if it vibrates a little what they hey.

Good luck!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    Come on Larry!!!

You already know the answer to this one.
    So, your saying buy it, right???

I can tell you this, I won't be paying $100+ for something I will use maybe once or twice a year. So, either I borrow one (I don't like that option very much) or I rent one (which will probably cost me $20+ and I have to use it then rush back to the rental place, just to realize that I need to cut one more bolt or 2x4, also not such a great option) or I try to find a used one somewhere (not so easy when you live in a small town and you need it this weekend)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I got my Ryobi for the same level of usage(I thought) and then found myself with the task of cutting all the gravity feed water heat piping out of my 100 year old house. So I got this cheap saw and end up doing an industrial job. It worked great and it still works great. I think I paid $40 for it at the time. I use good blades and it accomplishes the task.

my 2 1/2 cents
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I bought one of those about a month ago. Something I seldom need. It does work. I used it to cut angle iron from a bed frame to make one of my sheet goods holders. Worked much better than a hack saw. I figure that if it lasts for one more little job I'm ahead of the game. It actually seems to be a reasonably well made tool considering the cost. I also bought one of their hammer drills for $25 about a year ago. I've used that 4 or 5 times and it still works.

These are not Bosch tools, but well worth the small price for occasional use.

Bob

I have one too for odd jobs. Works fine but the blades do not hold up well.

I purchased a hammer drill from HF for $24. Same thought - I use it maybe two or three times a year and didn't want to spend a lot on a name brand. It does a fine job for what I use it for and takes the beating instead of my regular 1/2" drill.

FWIW,

Wes

I have a HF 4-1/2" angle grinder that gets occasional use and works fine. I had one of the laminate trimmers, which also worked, just not as precise as a good one. The drill I bought worked fine for a spare until I dropped it and it broke.

I have a Craftsman recip saw that I use way more than I though. My dad and I have a running joke about it because I debated for a long time about getting one. I use it for cutting metal on a fairly regular basis and I've used it for tree trimming as well when I had a lot to do in one area. For branches here and there, the hand saw is still quicker.

I have several tools from HF: air compressor, two trim routers, cutout tool, 10" buffer. Haven't had problem with any of them. I did replace the bottoms of the bases on the trim routers, but we all seem to do that with our routers for one reason or another. I have a PC trim router that cost five times what the HF cost, but it stays in the cabinet most of the time -- the HF is easier to setup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

HF toolz

Larry:

I have several--maybe a dozen actually--HF tools--and they work OK. I have 2 recips from HF and a corded Makita recip--which stays in the case most of the time.

Their on-line or phone service is good and the shipping is really quick (don't know what sort of deal they have w/ UPS) and CHEAP.

If you are a contractor or professional wood-worker, I would not buy this level of quality irrespective of the great price.

The Taiwanese and Chinese are getting better at copying and making passable stuff.

Bill Fields

My son bought one about a year ago and I've used it a few times. Seems to work OK. Buy some better blades though. My wife bought me the Boshe 18v 5 in one kit for valantines day and it included a cordless recip saw as well as a corless circular saw so I don't have to nor do I have any desire to borrow my son's. (mini gloat)

I bought one of the HF recip saws about a year ago and used it this past week to demo a 10' x 42' deck. It sliced through the deck boards to make them 8' to fit in the back of my truck and then through the joists. The saw worked fine, and the wood blade that came with it worked, but I will soon get a new and better blade. I would not hesitate to tell you to buy this saw. For $20 you can't hardly go wrong.
    Jeremy Gibson