Thread: Treadle lathe

Treadle lathe

I found this on CL. Pretty cool, huh? Glad to see it wasn't just junked/trashed. At least the owner is trying to find a home for it...

Primitive wood lathe - $475 (munroe falls)

primitive wood lathe-1890s-great shape- very cool industrial -475.00 obo-thanks-akron area
    I drink, therefore I am.

I hope he finds a home for it, it would be a shame to lose it to the trash pile.

Looks like it's seen some use. See the polish on that treadle? Seems like I've seen this lathe before now. When I was first getting started, I collected every article I could find about making lathes on the cheap, and came across a lot of man-powered lathes...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

It's over 100 years old... I would assume it DOES have a lot of use on it! Now what would have been more appropriate for a CL ad would be for the seller to have said, "Low mileage. Used one time to turn a baluster for my house. Great condition. MUST SEE!!!"
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice to see, thanks. Much newer then my treadle
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

It is hard to imagine working for hours on a lathe like that, but they did. They must have had strong right legs. Wood Turning gives me very little exercise and I have thought about having a pedal powered lathe,which would give work to both legs but have not seen any.