Thread: Creeker visit

Creeker visit

Terre Hooks stopped by today to deliver the lunch-box planer and stand I bought from him. Terre is the youngster in the first picture. The second picture shows what he had in the back of his truck. I was hoping that I mis-understood the planer model number, but it was not to be. He was going to deliver these items to someone else farther on down the road.

Thanks for stopping by Terre. I enjoyed the visit.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey..thats my JOINTER!!!! Do i need to file a police report? I thought i heard someone down in my basement the other night...I best go check!!! Congrats on your planer purchase but you better hide it for a few days if thats how terre gets his stuf by stealing from others

Hey Bob
    I don't think Terre needs a truck...just strap the stuff to his back.
    mike

Thank you, Bob for the warm welcome. I enjoyed the visit as well.

Both of those tools are about 1984 circa. Most of us could not be doing this as a hobby if the prices today were like they were back then. I had the original invoice on the Rockwell 13" 2hp planer that was dated back in '84.

$1395. We all know what that jointer was selling for a couple of years ago when they were still US Made. I would feel good about saying that $1400 in 1984 is about equal to $3000 today.

And that planer doesn't have the bells and whistles of a modern 20" 5 hp planer does that cost what that one did new.

Terre:

I have a question about the jointer as I notice it does not have the hand wheels and I have a chance to pick one up that is similar; in that the one I am looking at does not have handwheels either. Do you like the setup on that jointer or would you opt for one with handwheels?

Thanks
    Andy

Andy

I'm not Terre, but I'll throw in my two cents on the subject. I went from handwheels to levers when I went from my 6 inch to the new to me 8 inch, and it's really a non-issue for me. Just a different way of doing the task.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans
    Andy

I'm not Terre, but I'll throw in my two cents on the subject. I went from handwheels to levers when I went from my 6 inch to the new to me 8 inch, and it's really a non-issue for me. Just a different way of doing the task.

Steve
    Thanks Steve, appreciate the feedback. I have never really seen much discussion on the topic and was wondering how they work.

Have a Good One!
    Andy

Andy,

I agree with Steve. That was not my jointer. I do, however, have a Grizzly 1018HW - pretty much the Taiwanese exact clone of the PM60, except with handwheels.

I only "played" around with that PM "dry"-the plug that is on it did not match any of my 240v receptacles, and I didn't put a new one on. I did play with the levers, and I wouldn't care one way or the other.

I don't adjust my tables except when I'm face jointing a really out-of-whack board, or changing knives. Otherwise, I leave it set to take about 1/64"+ off.