Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicholson Workbench dogs question

Nicholson Workbench dogs question

Hello,

I'm building a Nicholson workbench and had a question about the dogs and the apron. In my old bench I'd just reach under the bench and push a dog up where I needed it. With the nicholson the apron doesn't allow this. How have others handled this?

I've already started the build, it was actually a retrofit of my old bench which was just a laminated benchtop on some cabinets. I wasn't happy with the workholding on the old bench and am excited about the future with this bench. I have some ideas on the dogs but before I do anything I was hoping for some insight from those that have BTDT.

Thanks,

Adam

Blog Entries
    By using round dogs that are inserted in the top when needed?

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is my biggest gripe with my Nicholoson. Fantastic bench design in so many other respects, but the dog issue is annoying. One solution would be to buy a few of the little pop bench dogs "prairie dogs" that LV sells. The down side of that is you need to then cover the bottoms of the dog holes so if you want them to double as holdfast holes you can't without rotating the stops out of the way.

What I've taken to doing is using an about 1/4" high planing stop, as a long bench dog. I use one of these guys but you could easily make your own. They key is to make it as low profile as you will want and to make sure the posts are slightly undersized. The undersized posts allow you to easily pick it up and move it up and down the bench as needed. Since is stretches between two rows of dog holes it also serves as the 2nd dog in the bench when you put a 2nd one in the vise to clamp using two rows.

Like Jim said you can just use dogs that you take in and out as needed, and this is what I did for a while. The problem I had with this was the commercial dogs I was using were a pretty tight fit and I tended to keep them low in the holes so I often couldn't lift them out from top and found my knealing down a lot and reaching under the big apron to push them up from the bottom. This is why I prefer something like the planing stop where the posts are slightly undersized and the "t" shaped top is what stop them from falling through...its much easier to take in and out. I think I've seen little individual t-shaped dogs online that would probably work the same way, but I already had the stop and of the several options I had in my shop its the only one I now use.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-04-2013 at 1:37 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I rarely use dogs with my split top Nicholson bench.
    A planing stop, leg vise, a pair of holdfasts, and the split top itself, ably hold everything I've needed so far.
    Just this past week I took about four minutes to make a batten (as discussed by "The English Woodworker"), and it's great.
    I have numerous dogs from my prior bench laying nearby, I just haven't needed to grab them.
    I keep toying with adding a wagon vise, in which case I would definitely use dogs, but haven't had the real need to drive the wagon vise project beyond some idle time planning.
    Last edited by Bill Haumann; 08-04-2013 at 1:48 PM.

I suppose you could drill a hole in the face of the dog, and fashion a little hook out of some steel rod to fish it out when it gets too low to grab. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that, so there's probably a better way.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Jim; I keep my dogs off to the side and insert and remove as needed. Not being able to store your dogs in the top is a small price to pay for having the large apron that people build this style for.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How deep is the apron? I have benches with aprons, and have drilled the dog holes with a brace/bit and 3/4" auger. The regular Jennings or Stanley/Jennings augers will drill down 7-1/2", and that's before you resort to drilling up from the bottom to meet in the middle. It's pretty quick work if you pull the auger out every 2-3" or so to clear chips and clean chips out of the pilot thread so it starts biting again.

Wiley

I've never used dogs on my Nicholson bench, which is modeled after Mike Siemsen's with two adjustable wooden planing stops. Tap them from above or below to adjust, and combine with battens and/or holdfasts for more flexibility (split tops are very handy for this).

Drop Bob Rozaieski a note over at the Logan cabinet shoppe.

I believe he has one large, retractable planing stop which can be adjusted from under the left hand side.
    (It would be installed on the other end, if you work Left handed).

That is used in conjunction with a cleat that runs down the middle.

http://logancabinetshoppe.com/podcast-the-workbench.php

The simple answer is to not use dogs. This bench design is really all about simplicity. Using holdfasts and battens is the way to go. I drilled a row of dog holes in my bench and I'm about to cover them up with a patch as they are too much of a pain to use.

If you really must use dogs, then take the easy way out. Keep a scrap of dowel nearby and just push the dogs through when they are too low and re-insert them from the top.

The folks who have mentioned that this is really a design intended to be used with stops really have it right. I have a stop build into the center of mine in addition to the LV stop I have. The reason I kept using and end vise with dogs though is that I found that when traversing the grain with metal planes the board tended to pull toward me on the back stroke (and NO I refuse to lift my planes on the return stroke). I found this not to be problem with wooden bodied planes but it was annoying enough with metal plane (which is mostly what I have) that when my QR end vise broke I replaced it with another. However, that was before I has seen "The English Woodworker" demonstrate the batton with the notch in it. Someone posted that literally like a week after I got my new end vise and had I seen it earlier I very well may have opted to continue to go without an end vise.

Do get yourself a favor and get some good holdfasts too. I just finally got the Gramercy's after stupidly putting off buying them for years. They are fantastic and are a total steal for under $40 a pair. Seriously just buy them, buy them now, that goes for everyone (and yes I realize I'm about 5 years late to the party on these)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    The reason I kept using and end vise with dogs though is that I found that when traversing the grain with metal planes the board tended to pull toward me on the back stroke (and NO I refuse to lift my planes on the return stroke).
    Yeah, that's annoying unless you get used to lifting the plane, or at least the heel of it. For heavier work, I've used a holdfast in the apron to keep a piece in place on the top; just don't let it stick up enough to catch your hands or plane!

You can do a lot with creative blocking and battens, and once you accept that it's a different way of working, it becomes second nature. If the photo thingy works, here's a shot of my bench top, with planing stops and adjustable battens running lengthwise. In the photo of the front, you can see the planing stop to the left of the leg; just hit it with a mallet to change height. The first project without a face vise was annoying, but I don't miss it now.

Nice setup,Adam. That second pic is making me think I might be taking out the brace and adding a couple more holes to my bench. Not how I rip right now, but worth a shot.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Nice setup,Adam. That second pic is making me think I might be taking out the brace and adding a couple more holes to my bench. Not how I rip right now, but worth a shot.
    +1 great setup. That's my favorite way to rip too. I'm planning a 2nd bench at the moment that will be nothing like my nicholson, but seeing that shot makes me want to build a 2nd longer Nicholson as well (mine is only about 5 1/2 ft). I still do love that bench design. 3 benches isn't too many is it?

If you live anything like me, you need one bench to hold all the non-woodworking project junk and tools and parts that ends up accumulating on any horizontal surface, one bench you say is for "assembly" which is really just a nice way of saying it holds all the woodworking-related project junk and tools and parts that accumulate on on any open horizontal surface, and then a third to get any actual woodworking done. So three sounds about right. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at one for the time being. I wish I could get my wife into the same "finish a project for the day, wipe down and put away the tools and parts" method I use in my projects, but I don't dare say anything, because she could trump me with the fact I'm not exactly known for cleaning anything else in the house, and I don't know how much longer I can pull the "but I went into the attic to wire all those lights" and "But I removed the remnants of that chimney" card for any value . . .
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice